Chapter Three: It takes guts to save a life

Phoenix's instincts kicked in as she saw his red blood spatter the ground. Lunging towards the creature, Phoenix grabbed it around the mouth and extracted it from the mans shoulder, before kicking it to the ground. It writhed around, trying to get up, but one kick the the side of the head pushed it into unconsciousness.

The man stood up, his hand clamped around the wound on his neck.

"Here, let me help. I know first aid," said Phoenix, running over to him. He used his spare hand to push her away.

"Don't touch my wound," he growled.

"But I can help-" she was cut of by him shoving a pair of handcuffs towards her and nodding towards the creature. Understanding what he wanted her to do, she kneeled beside it and snapped the cuffs on.

"You're acting very calm," he remarked as she stood up again.

"So are you."

He looked into her challenging eyes, knowing he couldn't win without her uncovering the truth about him, and backed down.

"Do you have any uh... Help close by?" Asked Phoenix.

The man nodded his head.
"This is private business though, so I should ask you to please leave. If you want answers, I'll meet you in the centre of town tomorrow morning."

She nodded, before turning around and heading towards the Main Street.

Phoenix's p.o.v.

I stuffed my hands into my pockets as I stumbled out of the park. One of my hands instinctively went to my shoulder to find my bag had disappeared.

"I must have dropped it, damn it. If that guy finds it, he'll know I was lying!" I think. I race back into the park, tracing my footsteps. Thankfully I find it discarded by the edge of the paths just before I reach the clearing where the creature was. Heaving a sigh of relief, I rifle through it and make sure everything is in it before slinging it over my shoulder.

As I am about to walk away, I hear hushed voices from the clearing. I silently walk to the edge of it, staying in the shadows. I can see the creature being hauled into the back of a black SUV. It has something engraved on the side of it, but I can't make it out. Something about torches?

The man is there, looking absolutely fine and talking to another two girls. Another two men appear from around the side of the car, probably the ones putting the creature into it. They all huddle in the centre, talking seriously about something. I can't hear their conversation, but I do hear the words 'Milah' and 'retcon.'

~•~

In the morning, I wake up, stretch and grab my bag of essentials before leaving my hotel and hurrying towards the town centre. Just as I walk into the open space, a man rushing towards me hits me with his shoulder. He keeps walking, and because I'm in a bad mood I stop.

"Hey, where are you going?" I yell at him. He turns around slowly, his brown trench coat swaying around his legs. The light glints off his glasses, making me have to squint. He points to himself questioningly, tilting his head. I nod.
"I keep seeing you! Who are you?" I ask. He takes a step towards me and extends a hand with a brilliant smile.

"I'm the Doctor. Nice to-" he stops just before I can shake his hand as the device in his hand starts beeping like crazy. He retracts his hand, giving me a bashful grin before running back off looking at the device. I sigh, rolling my eyes and making my way towards the water feature. When I get there, I sit down on the ledge just next to it and watch the world pass by, waiting for my knight in a military coat bearing answers.