Chapter Five: Retcon Hangover

I stirred a bit in my sleep, turning over. Sunlight filtered through my eyelids and I frowned. Opening my eyes, I saw that my curtains had been left open, meaning that sunlight was spilling through the window.

"That's strange. Why would I have left my curtains open last night?" I think, trying to remember what I did last night. I remember....
I remember the Cardiff centre and.....
The water feature.

Pain shoots through my skull, right above my right eye. I groan and massage it, whilst getting up and grabbing some Panadol.

I took some Panadol and had breakfast, hoping it would go away. But it only got worse.

Lights.

They flashed in my vision, blurring reality and .... dreams? They made the headache worse. I didn't want to move. Slumping onto the couch, I buried my head into a pillow. The darkness helped, until a man's face flashed back into my vision.

Who was that? His brown hair, his military coat, they all seemed familiar. And then I was back near the water feature. The man was there again, but this time he was talking. Well, his mouth was moving but I couldn't hear anything. He started walking, but I couldn't follow. I wanted to scream out, but my mouth was pressed shut.

The memory blurred and started to bleed. It's colour drained and mixed together, and all the other figures on the canvas were erased. The colours began to danced across the white and then I was in a bar. The same man was there. He was talking again, but I managed to catch some words.

'Alien'

'Torchwood'

And then I was back in reality. Sitting up, I realised that my headache was better. Looking around, I remembered where I was and why I was here. And I think that man had something to do with it.

~•~

I hugged my coat closer as I trudged into the only place that I could remember. The water feature made a soft and almost lulling background noise. All was calm. People strolling around talking now to each other or on their phones. Pigeons looking for scraps in the park. But something wasn't right. I couldn't put my finger on it. It was a gut instinct that something was about to happen.

My eyes darted around wildly and took in all the people, when I saw him. He was running, pushing through the crowd. I decided to follow him at a slow jogging pace. We trailed all through Cardiff and ended up on the outskirts of the city. The man walked up to a tree.

"This is it? You're sure, Tosh?" He says into his earpiece.

Tosh....

"Ok well we can't move it so we'll just need to keep tabs on it. Doesn't look like anyone is bothering it."

Bothering a tree? This man is insane. Maybe I should just-

"Hello there." His voice stops me in my tracks and I turn slowly around to him.

It all comes rushing back. The Weevil. The Hub. Tosh, Owen, Ianto, Suzie. Pterodactyl. Alien. Torchwood.

Jack.

"That's right," he says, smirking and winking.

Oops. I said that out loud.

"I remember," I say, almost as confused as he looks.

"Impossible......Incredible," he whispers to himself.

"Uh hello? I'm still here." I wave a hand in front of his eyes. He starts and looks at me with a serious face before he breaks into a grin.

"You know what this means?" He says.

"No. I really don't"

".... I told Suzie that you were strong. I knew it!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Come with me," Jack says mysteriously before walking off. I jump into action and run to his side as we make our way through Cardiff.