Chapter Five

jjjjjjj

Chapter Five

Mariska's POV

It's late in the morning when I am woken up by the sound of a man screaming from outside of my window. I race to the opening where I see the gardener holding his foot has he tumbles onto the stone bench. I then see him pull a piece of glass out of his heel. He curses Kelli's broken glasses before picking up a broom propped up against a tall hedge. I know what he's doing and I search my room for loose clothes that I can easily slip into.

I see a pair of black slacks belonging to Kelli, and I slip the pair on as quickly as possible. I race down the hall, I fly down the stairs, and I push a set of doors open that led to the garden. My feet hit the ground quickly as I race to the gardener to stop him from taking the glasses. "Jack, Jack! Jack, don't touch those!"

His head turns toward me, alarm and panic etching across his face. "Your Majesty, the glasses are broken."

"I don't care, don't touch them; give them to me," I say shakily as I catch my breath.

"My Lady, you will cut yourself on the glass-"

"Jack, just give me the damn glasses!"

He picks up the black frame, along with larger shards that hadn't been smashed into tiny specks of glass. "Clean up the rest."

I stand up with the remains in my hands. I walk back to the castle and make my way to my study. I set the glasses on my desk, and I dial the phone as I sit down. The telephone only rings two or three times before a jolly voice fills my left ear.

"Mariska, I haven't received a call from you in quite some time, what is in need of fixing?" Malcolm asks. Malcolm was my friend, and a man with skills like no other. He created, fixed, and replaced things with the best quality I've ever seen.

"I have quite a few things I'd like to fix, but I'm only calling because I need you to make me some reading glasses."

"Reading glasses, why on Earth would you need those? Your sight is magnificent!"

"Thank you for the complement, but they're not for me. It doesn't matter who they're for, I just need them to be top quality," I said.

"Details are key, my dear Queenie."

"Right, they need to have a slightly large black frame, the glass isn't too thick, and just the average head size, I guess."

"Sounds like an ideal pair to me. Queenie, I hope you know I love you dearly, but I'm running low on my savings these days, and top quality will cost you some money."

"Any price will do, just make them your best pair so far."

"This person sounds mighty special, is it Chris?"

I laugh before answering his question, "No, the glasses aren't for him. But the person means the world to me."

"Then I will make them my best pair, for that special person of yours!" he exclaims, his loud laugh booming into my ear,

"Thank you, Malcom. Do me a favor and send me a bill."

"Only my best works for a friend like you! Good day, darling."

"Goodbye, Malcolm," I say. I put the phone on back where it began. I look at the broken glasses on my desk, and then it hits me- where is Kelli? She didn't wake me up this morning, I haven't seen her all day, and by the looks of her anger last night, I'm scared to know what happened.

I stand up and find my way to her room. I am about to knock on her door when I hear sniffling from the other side. I lower my hand, and I turn the knob. I've forgotten how squeaky the door is, and the sound echoes. Kelli is on her side, facing the wall. I slide into the room, and I sit down on her bed. And to be honest, I don't know what to say.

Words, Mariska; use your words. You need to make this right; your relationship is decaying more and more by the minute!

I rub her top arm slowly, making sure she doesn't want to move. She remains still, except for the shaking caused by her crying. "Kelli..."

Silence.

"I want to make this right," I whisper nervously. She doesn't respond again. "I'm having someone do something for you, but it's a surprise."

"You can't buy my love, Mariska," she tells me, and I stop rubbing her arm before going to stroke her hair.

"I'm not trying to do that, and I know I can't. Kelli, this relationship is falling apart, and I know you see it too. I don't want it to go away. Kel, I love you, and I love this relationship. I can't stand to watch you in pain, and I don't want to be in pain either. I want to fix this; I want it the way it used to be. I want to wake up next to you. I want to try to make breakfast with you, I want to fall asleep with you in my arms, I want to kiss like we used to; I want to be blown away each time out lips meet."

Kelli is crying harder by now, and my hand is still resting on her hair. She doesn't say anything, and she is still not looking at me.

"I know this is partially my fault, I know I screwed up, I know that I avoided any contact for a while. To be honest, I don't know why I did do that. I want us to be honest with each other. I put you through so much before and during our relationship, and I won't let our love die out as easily as it seems to be right now."

I hear I sad chuckle from Kelli and she finally speaks, "That a lot of expectations."

"I never said they should all be achieved at once," I joke, and I earn another laugh. She sits up, and turns toward me. Tears stain her cheeks, and a small smile is planted on her lips. She takes my hand into hers, and looks me in the eyes.

"I want to fix this too; I want to have what was there. I love you."

I smile sadly and reply, "I love you too, and I'll never stop."

Our lips finally find each other, and the contact is the most fulfilling thing I've felt in a long time. I can't wait until put relationship is restored...