Back in Blue

Unedited

I ran. Out of the building, away from Jeremy. Could he have been the real thing for me? Could I have forgotten everything and had children and became an artist? Maybe.

All I wanted to do was move. I felt like I hadn't been out of bed in years. Something in me was missing.

What the hell was that thing? Why did the strangely shaped blade kill it?

I always kept my weapons on me. The old me seemed sure that I might need them, so I kept them just in case. Then when I was attacked, it was like I had done it before. Just find the blade and kill the thing.

Thing? Is that what it is?

I stood pressed against the door of my apartment for a long time. Taking deep, steady breaths, I slowly walked to where my computer sat on my desk. Opening it, I pulled open a web browser and quickly typed in a description of the thing I saw tonight.

Of course, stories popped up. There were numerous accounts of people who claimed to have seen the thing. What caught my eyes was one word: hellhound.

I scrolled some more and came across a few other things. There was a book series that talked about hellhounds and other creatures, but it was fictional. I need real stuff.

Maybe I'm just going crazy.

Finally, I find a site that told me everything I needed to know. It says that creatures are real. Vampires, ghosts, all of them are real. Could they really be? I mean, am I really going to just believe that?

I sigh and rub my temples. My eyes drift over to the key hook. My second set of keys hung there, containing not only an extra key to my apartment but the key to my car as well. I had learned to take taxis in the city; my car was too old and beautiful to be around all of the New York madness.

I hadn't driven the car in a long time, and even though I didn't remember about my times with it before, I still loved to hear the old engine purr.

I grabbed the keys off the hook and began walking down to the storage place a block over. It was warm out, and the sun spread warmth over my body.

A grin graced my lips when I opened that storage door. There she was, just as pretty as ever.

I drove in one direction until I found a field. I missed the smell of grass and the wind blowing through my hair. Maybe I'll get a hotel room out here for the night.

There's only one think missing.

I knelt down and found my CDs. I slowed down so as not to wreck while I dug through them, smiling at the perfect one. I slipped the disc in and stepped on the petal.

"Back in black. I hit the sack. I've been too long, I'm glad to be back," I sang along with the radio, screaming as loud as I could. The words came freely, as if I'd listened to the song a thousand times.

Monsters and classic rock, a leather jacket, a silver blade. Who really was I before?