"Fine!" I throw my hands up in surrender. "Are you and Lorcan dating?"

Evan is blushing. "I think we are," he says, wrinkling his nose. "Isn't this fun?"

"No," I say bluntly. "My turn. Why do you like him?"

"Uu, I didn't know you were so obsessed with us. Are you shipping us? Like totally?" Evan kicks my seat, laughing.

"Not at all," I reply flatly. "Again, my turn-"

"Hey, you didn't let me tell you what I like about him!" Evan argues and comes closer. "Don't be like that."

"Be like what?" I challenge him. We stare into each other's eyes.

"Bitter," he mumbles under his breath. "What do you suggest we do, then?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," I shrug and look straight ahead. "Except that I'm very bad at it. Stop the car; I need to take a leak."

We pull over and I walk into the woods. Maybe I just need to clear my mind.

"Do you think we're doing the right thing?" Jocelyn asks Evan. They both watch as I walk away, making sure I don't hear anything. "I don't think he's enjoying this very much."

"We have to get home in some way. That was the best way. I know that it would have been better maybe if Lorcan had been here, because maybe he could have said something that would have made Howard consider things," Evan sighs, arms around the head support of the passenger chair.

"That was a really long sentence," Jocelyn laughs. "So we just wait until we get there and then discuss what to do?"

"Yes, I guess so. This was supposed to be fun. Maybe we just have to get him drunk," Evan says, biting his lip. Jocelyn shoots him a look.

"That's your solution?"

"Sorry!" Evan throws his hands up. "That's the only way I know. The only times I've seen him remotely happy, is when he is totally clueless. Now, I think we've all pushed him to talk to Anton, and it's made him even more miserable."

"Yeah, maybe you're right," Jocelyn considers, and exhales. "Give me a Snickers, please. This is frustrating."

When I get back we continue to drive. Evan is doing crosswords and sometimes asks for a word, and we try to figure it out. It is calmer and I like it, not so hectic. At east there isn't anyone's foot kicking my seat and I can comfortably sit and look out the window.

There is so much to concentrate on. It is spring and the trees are beautiful. The sun makes me squint my eyes, but I don't even mind it.

After two hours of driving, Jocelyn asks whether we're hungry. "I have to stop for gas anyway," she adds. Evan and I both agree.

There is a diner next to the gas station. Since it is lunchtime, there are quite a lot of people, but thankfully, there are still free tables. While Jocelyn deals with her car and feeding it gas, Evan and I explore the diner and scan the menu with our hungry eyes.

"I don't know. What do you want?" he asks me. "I think I want fries. I think I need to spoil myself a little." He sways next to me and bumps hips with me.

"Um," I laugh nervously. "How about a salad? Yes. Just order me a fresh salad and I'll be good." I look around; Jocelyn is still outside. She talking on her phone. I wonder who it could be.

"Hi, I would like-" Evan starts, but I drift off in my thoughts. I wonder if Madison could be home, too. I could maybe meet her and we could talk. It would be nice to see her after all this time. I'm pretty sure I'll be at a loss of words. We're not friends anymore.