Chapter 12

"Well?" Marko said after a few seconds. "Who's the mystery chick?"

I snapped my head up, a stupid smile still plastered on my lips. Upon reading the note, I'd barely resisted the urge to chuckle. Though a small part of me did think that what she'd written was slightly cryptic, for the most part I'd found her message to be amusing and quirky.

You won't understand this now, but know that I wasn't insane.
I'm going to help you remember, hopefully then you'll feel the same.
L  Y  L  A , those are the letters that make up my name.

"Lyla," I said as I re-read her poem. "Her name is Lyla."

"Oh," Dan said surprised; clearly he'd been expecting someone else. "I don't think I know her."

"Definitely not a name I've heard," Marko added as he tried to reach over and pluck the note from my hand. "Sage, lemme' see that."

"I know how to read," I said defensively. Immediately I pulled it out of his reach and re-folded it. "It says Lyla." Well, more or less. I figured she'd written her name like that so it wouldn't clash with the rhythm of the poem or something. "Anyway, why is it that you guys looked so worried? Who did you think it was?"

When it seemed like no one would answer, Dan sighed and said, "I don't know, maybe Ava if she somehow managed to get away from Finn and Biff. Or perhaps someone even worse. The point is that I don't like leaving you unguarded, okay? Something could've happened."

"But nothing did," I reassured him. "Crisis averted. I mean, look around; if Lyla wanted to kill me she could've done it easily. There are plenty of pointy syringes that are ideal for stabbing."

"Not funny," Dan said wryly. I could tell he was trying to stay mad, but was having trouble keeping up the facade.

"Also there are ear-swabs and tongue depressors," Wayne added cheerfully. "Good for optimum poke-age. Which, while it wouldn't kill, could be very annoying."

"Not to mention these," Felix added, holding up a glass jar and saying in his best eerie tone. "Sinister cotton balls."

I couldn't help but laugh, and at that the mood in the room seemed to immediately lift. After asking a few more questions about my visitor, of which I could only answer few since I knew little myself, the subject of Lyla was momentarily dropped.

Eventually Wayne and Felix left to go find out what had happened with Ava, and shortly after they were followed by Jude and Marko who had their own jobs to get to. I didn't mind being left with Dan though, in fact I enjoyed it. While I knew that this past year we'd obviously been living in the same faction, I still felt the undeniable need to catch up on time lost.

"You're looking good," Dan noted as he turned from my monitors to study my expression.

"Not lookin' bad yourself," I grinned back. "Dude, have you been lifting?"

"I have, but that's beside the point, you know I'm naturally good looking." He looked like he was about to playfully punch me, but at the last instant he dropped his hand. "I'm talking about your stats though, the readings are all great."

"Cut's practically non-existent," I added in wonder. "I'll never be able to thank Banks enough."

"Hmm," was all Dan could say to my last statement. Unlike before though, he didn't appear as irritated at the mention of his name. "Speaking of Banks," he reached into his pocket and produced a capped syringe.

"What is that?" The liquid was slightly murky and brown, and instinctively I wrinkled my nose and attempted to edge away. "It looks like dirty water."