SIXTEEN

THEY SAY BEAUTIFUL THINGS HAPPEN WHEN PEOPLE KISS.

Dawn knew that. As a matter of fact, she dreamed of it ever since she could remember. She remembered watching romantic comedy movies as a teen, feeling her insides reeling from all gush of emotions, her stomach full of butterflies. She would hug her pillow, squeal like a little girl, and stare at the ceiling of her room, thinking when she would have her first kiss. It would be romantic, mind boggling, knees weak from desire.

She couldn't remember Eric walking toward her, holding either of her cheeks, and closing up the distance between their lips. She only remembered looking at the sky, admiring the blanket the stars, sharing a moment with him.

It could have been a romantic kiss, the one she dreamed before and squealed over and over again. But nothing ever goes as expected with Dawn.

She fainted and bumped her head on the wheel of Eric's bicycle.

THERE WAS A PERMANENT SCOWL ON ERIC'S FACE.

He had been cursing under his breath for the past half hour, his eyes twitching since forever, and his fists ready to hit the living daylights out of the person who was holding Dawn's hand. Kiel bastard Perez.

He cursed again as he looked out of the car window, his thoughts wandering on the night he kissed Dawn for the very first time. He smiled, a goofy grin that would piss Kiel off every now and then.

It would have been the most beautiful and romantic night of his life, if it weren't for Dawn fainting right after their lips touched. She fainted. Which wasn't the most romantic gesture, really, and she almost hit her head on the wheel of the bicycle they were riding. He had to carry Dawn because even after several attempts of waking her up and slapping the heck out of her cheeks, she remained comatose. So piggyback style then. Eric was cursing everything and anything as his back burned from pain. All 5'10 of Dawn killed him. But then again, it wasn't the first time he carried her.

Eric cleared his throat when Kiel started rubbing Dawn's back. Obviously, he didn't want anyone touching Dawn. He knew it was selfish of him but in his mind, Dawn was his. He felt his throat become dry. He just didn't think that. Then again, he did.

"So, how did you meet my lady?" Kiel asked.

My lady? Really? Eric thought. He wanted to laugh at his face and tell him what phony he was but he was a guest and he didn't want to be rude.

"At the patisserie." Eric answered.

"Huh."

Eric rolled his eyes. There he was, seated beside Dawn, whose head was resting quietly on Kiel's shoulder, sleeping off the trip. Her mouth was slightly open and Eric resisted the urge to close it. They looked picturesque, if it weren't for the anguish brewing in Eric's chest.

Then the unexpected happened. Dawn stirred from her sleep, as she turned around, wrapped her arms around Eric, and snuggled up to his chest. Which made Eric freeze and his heart jumped. Kiel was surprised too as he stared at them.

"Catherine..." Eric was about to wake her when Kiel stopped him.

"Let her be." Kiel said.

"Uh, okay."

This must be the closest he had ever been after the kiss. He didn't know why but Dawn acted like nothing happened that night. It was weird, at least for him. He had spent the whole evening packing up and readying himself for the Baguio trip with Dawn. He couldn't even sleep. It was right then that he thought of saying it to Dawn already. To tell her what he was thinking. About them. About the kiss that never was spoken to. He was all smiles that time. The thought of him and Dawn.