NINE (R)

LIFE SURE IS FULL OF SURPRISES.

Dawn woke to the sound of rain outside her window. She looked beside her bedside table and saw a glass of water beside her spectacles. Nauseated, she slowly sat up from her bed and felt pain throbbing around her head. She took the glass of water, finished it without so much grace and notice someone was sleeping coyly on the red couch in her bedroom.

She squinted her eyes and put her spectacles to see clearer. Then she realized who was in the couch. It was Eric, sleeping quietly with his arms crossed over his chest and his bangs falling on his forehead. He looked serene and he was wearing yesterday's clothes. Why would he wear the same clothes today? And why was he here?

That's when Dawn remembered everything from last night.

Haircut, shopping, eating in Forever 50's, Eric's funny driver's license...

"Oh my God!" Dawn gasped, loud enough to wake Eric up.

"W-what? What happened?" Eric asked, pushing off his bangs away from his face and sitting up awkwardly on the couch.

"I did, didn't I?"

"Did what?"

But Dawn was shaking her head as she buried her face in her hands.

Yesterday could have been one of the best days in her life. She had her hair cut short and was colored lovely by Stacy. She went shopping for new clothes and even though they were bickering the whole time they were together, she really had a great time with Eric. All throughout the day, Eric was patient and considerate of her. He was almost nice to her. But all of that went down when she fainted in front of her college crush.

Kiel.

She was reminded of all the things that she buried at the back of her mind. All those college parties, afternoon study sessions in the libraries, and laughter under the sun. Those random meet-ups in coffee shops, reading, quizzing each other for exams. Those were great times and probably, the happiest ever. But she had already moved on and found herself in a much better state.

And yet they are certain things in life that comes back and somehow, it's inevitable.

"You should be thanking me, you know." Eric said, snapping Dawn out of her thoughts. "You fainted in front of that gigantic guy and caused a ruckus inside the diner."

"What happened?" Dawn asked.

"You mean don't remember?"

"I mean, I remember fainting and seeing stars but that's all I can remember."

Eric stared at her narrowly, raising a brow. "Why would you see stars? Jesus, Catherine, you're one funny woman." he said. "Well, that guy carried you and we rode a cab to get home. He was apologizing profusely, saying things that you should contact him as soon as possible and all that crap."

"It's not crap." Dawn hissed, her voice sharp.

"What? You're PMS-ing on me now?

"Who's PMS-ing?"

"You. Why are you so pissed off? It's not like I'm the one who fainted. And I couldn't leave you to sleep on yourself here that's why I'm here." Eric explained, his brows furrowed together. He was obviously annoyed.

He stood up, combed his hair with his fingers and started making his way toward the door.

"Hey. Where are you going?" Dawn asked.

"Home. I can't talk to you with you being pissed with me when I didn't do anything at all." Eric replied. "And for the record, I was at my best yesterday."