Chapter 6: the New Guy

Another moday morning at school. My head was over crowded with thoughts and all I wanted to do was relax. I hoped that I wouldn't have another embarrassing moment with James again. I walked to my first period study hall. Entering the classroom, I instantly sat by Cassidy who was at a table in the back of the room.

"Peyton, thank god you're here" Cassidy said relieved.

"It's good to see you too" I said sarcastically.

"I have something to tell you."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well, there's a new guy in our school and he's wicked hot." We then heard the teacher at the front of the room shush Cassidy. Cassidy rolled her eyes and continued. "Anyway, he's in our gym class and I can't wait to see him."

"What are you going to do? Ask him out?"

"Yes, he's the only other available hunk after you took James." I blushed uncomfortably at the mention of his name.

"It's not like I'm dating James."

"Well, even if you're not, this guy is mine."

"Sure. Hey, you didn't tell me his name yet."

"Oh, I'd almost forgot that. His name is David Ryder." The study hall was soon over, and Cassidy had dragged me through the crowd of people in the hallways just to get to the gym, so that she could see this David guy. We leaned against the wall, waiting for Mr. Johnson, our gym teacher.

"So, where is he?" I asked looking around.

"He's gotta be around here somewhere or I might just lose it."

"I think you've already lost it."

"Oh, shut up. Oh, there he is!" She pointed over at a guy in the black basketball shorts with the muscular body. When the guy turned around, I recognized him instantly. It was the David guy from the diner. "I'm going to go say hi."

Cassidy's POV

------------------------

I walked over to the muscular male, tossing my red hair back and smiling brightly. I tapped him on the shoulder and held out my hand. "Hey, I'm Cassidy Stewart" I greeted flirtasciously.

"Hey, I'm David Ryder" he greeted back shaking my hand. "Well, aren't you a beauty."

"Thanks, I strive to be."

"I noticed you standing over there. Who's your friend?"

"Oh, that's just Peyton Anderson, she's my best friend."

"You don't say. How bout we meet up sometime, say for dinner?"

"Sounds great."

"Say Friday at eight?"

"Great, see you then." I then walked back over to Peyton smiling happily.

Peyton's POV

---------------------

"I have a date this Friday." Cassidy said proudly. I smiled slightly, knowing that I shouldn't tell her about him in the diner situation.

"That's great" I said faking a happy smile. I was happy that she had a date, just not happy about the person she was going on the date with.

"Hey, maybe James will ask you out and we can double date sometime." I blushed upon seeing James come out of the boy's lockeroom. He instantly walked over to me and Cassidy.

"Hey James" I said shyly.

"Hey" he smiled back at me.

"Okay class, we're going to be doing some 'team exercises', partner up." Mr. Johnson shouted out over our noisy gym class.

"Be my partner" he said to me.

"Okay" I said.

"Hey, what about me?" Cassidy asked.

"Go partner up with David" I said back to her. She then went over to David.

"Come on" James took me by the hand and I blushed. He walked me over to a spot in the open gym by the other people in our class. We were at the sit ups station. I sat down on a mat, and James held my feet down. I caught James glaring at David, it was a look of anger and hatred.

"You okay?" I asked reaching my knees as I sat up each time.

"I'm fine, how have you been?"

"Uh, okay I guess." I then saw David looking at me. Suddenly I felt James take hold of my hips and pull me up onto my feet. My chest was against his. I blushed hard as he took a tighter hold of me in his arms. "Uh, James?" He didn't look down at me, he was still glaring at David. I looked back at David, he had then stopped glaring at James. I looked back up at James who was still holding me against him. "J-James?" I said uncomfortably. His body felt so warm. He then looked down at me, his grip on me still strong. He smiled down at me. He then let go of me.

"Sorry about that."

"I-it's okay, it was nice" I muttered hoping he wouldn't hear.

"Yeah, it was nice." I blushed harder as he spoke.

"Let's go to the next station."