⠀"Transfer schools," he suggested.

⠀I scoffed. "I'm lucky I even got this job."

⠀"Good thing Holly still vouches for you, huh?"

⠀Hearing her name made me feel a little nauseous. I knew I should be over it— she had every right to break up with me. I knew my life style back then wasn't suitable for anyone to be in my life like that. I was stupid to think it could be. The fighting, the drama, the danger. It was no wonder she got the hell out after the shit I had to put her through.

⠀Sometimes I wondered why the hell I wanted to get myself out. I could've ruined my future. I could've ruined everything more than I'd already had.

⠀And even through it all she was still on my side.

⠀Damn it, I needed to be over her.

⠀A grin spread across his face as he took a seat across from me. "You got lucky. Imagine all the high school girls that will be swooning over you."

⠀"I'm not a pedophile, Jeremy."

⠀"If you have a senior class, you might have some eighteen year olds. Technically that's not illegal. I dated a girl who was eighteen."

⠀"You also just turned twenty years old, Jeremy."

⠀"You're not much older," he responded. Then the kicked dog look came onto his face. It made me want to deck him. "You could use a little love in your life," were the annoying words that came from his annoying mouth.

⠀I should've known he'd say something like that. My mind wandered briefly to the girl I'd seen a week before. She really was cute. Would I see her again? Or rather, did I want to see her again? Seeing her was a painful. But it was probably what I deserved after what Holly went through. I could still be interested in her though, couldn't I? Maybe like a do-over?

⠀A do-over? I grimaced. What the hell was I thinking? I was messed up.

⠀"And besides, school lunch isn't even that bad," Jeremy droned on, completely unaware that I'd spaced out for a few moments. "I'd stay away from anything that looks like meatloaf though."

⠀I sighed. He was an idiot, but he was best friend. I had to put up with him.

⠀"But yeah, you're right. You're lucky you got the job with a criminal record like yours, huh, you thug you?"

⠀That conversation was ended with a swift punch to his solar plexus. After finishing my breakfast I grabbed the briefcase from the living room the held all the papers I'd need for class. There were a lot of papers. Fortunately, I had an interest in biology so it wouldn't be too bad. Teaching high schoolers on the other hand was something I didn't look forward to as much.

⠀"I'm leaving," I told Jeremy as I slipped on my shoes. All new and shiny and I probably paid too much for them.

⠀"Okay, I'll lock up when I leave."

⠀I gave him a flat look. Why did he think it was okay to just stay in my apartment when I wasn't around? Too tired to argue, I just let him be. Hopefully the place wouldn't be burned down by the time I came home. But since it was Jeremy I didn't have much faith.

⠀The school was pretty average. Nothing fancy like the high school I'd gone to back in the day. Of course my high school actually cost money to go to, but there wasn't anything wrong with public schools. Except the teaching salary was crap compared to private institutions. Money wasn't really a problem though. The true problem was made clear the moment I entered the doors.