Chapter 35 Tina's POV

I woke up at about eight when my alarm clock went off and I took care of my hygiene. I ran to the kitchen and had some cereal and listened to the radio for a bit until I heard Benny knock on my door.

I basically jumped out of my seat, I was so excited to see him, and opened the door. "Hi Benny," I greeted, swiping a glove off my couch and walking out with him.

"Hi Tina," he grinned boyishly and walked with me to the sandlot. He talked to me about the basics of baseball and explained to me what he was gonna teach me. Yes, I know, me play baseball? Well, if Benji loves it so much, it must be great.

We finally arrived to the lot and we set up the bases while we waited for everyone to arrive. One by one, our friends showed up until we were waiting on Yorky and Bertram.

"Where's Alaska and Bertram?" Smalls asked.

"I don't know," Chrissy shrugged. "They're probably on their way."

"Yeah yeah," Yeah-Yeah agreed, but he seemed a bit anxious.

Ham wiped his brow and groaned. "If they don't get here soon enough, I'm gonna die. I'm already baking like a toasted cheeser, it's so hot here!" he complained.

"Quit your yapping Hamilton, it's not even that hot," Chrissy snapped at him.

"Yeah, it's only," Scotty said, pausing to check his watch, "9 o'clock."

"Man," Kenny groaned.

"What now?" Benny exclaimed, obviously frustrated with everyone's complaining.

"I swear if he's seeing her, I'll - I'll -" Squints started, thinking that no one was listening to him.

"You'll what?" Timmy asked, nonchalantly draping his arm lazily around Chrissy shoulders as a smiled played at the corner of her lips.

"You'll what?" Tommy repeated.

He let out a low growl at the back of his throat and looked flustered. We followed his gaze and saw why he was so flustered. Bertram was walking into the sandlot, holding hands with Yorky.

But, there was a girl walking with them. She looked kinda like Alaska, but she had big, thick, black glasses.

"Hey guys," I said slowly, "who's that with Yorkers?"

Everyone shrugged.

"Hey guys," Alaska called as they neared us. "Sorry we're late, but this is my cousin Emilee, she prefers Emmee though -"

"I can speak for myself," Emmee retorted brusquely, causing Yorky to turn to her.

"Why would I speak for you? I don't even know your language," she snapped at the tall-ish girl. "Anyway," she started again slowly, "Emmee that's Timmy and Tommy Timmons; Chrissy and Alan McClennan, but Alan prefers 'Yeah-Yeah'; Kenny DeNunez; Scott Smalls; Hamilton 'Ham' Porter; Tina Vitar; Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez, also known as 'The Jet' but we call him Benny; this is Bertram Grover Weeks, as you already know; and Michael 'Squints' Palledorous."

"What's up?" Emilee said coolly.

We all replied with 'hi' or 'hey' and I don't know why, but I looked over at Squints. He had this weird look in his eye, like a daydream-y look, but he also looked like he was in awe at the same time. Though he tried to act tough, his eyes gave it away. I nudged him playfully and smirked at him, and he easily got the message. He scowled at me and tried to act cool, but he was real jittery.

"Let's play some ball!" Bertram exclaimed excitedly.

We all agreed with a chorus of "yeah's" and the usual "yeah yeah."

<><><>

"C'mon guys, it's getting dark and the mosquitos are eating us alive," Ham complained once the sun was almost completely set. Although everyone was sweating, he was basically drenched.

Besides us girls having to be around a bunch of boys that reeked of body odor, today was a pretty good day. Benny taught me how to play the game he loved and Chrissy, Emmee, Yorky, and I took turns playing.

"Yeah yeah, we should get home; I don't wanna be covered from head to toe in mosquito bites like last summer and the one before," Yeah-Yeah agreed with Ham.

Yorky shrugged and nodded in agreement. "Yeah, c'mon Bertram, let's go," she grabbed Bertram's hand. He blushed, but smiled nonchalantly.

"Okay," he said, swinging his and Alaska's hands. The rest of us averted our eyes to Alan rather subtly. He was blushing mad red and his eyes looked a bit glossy.

I shot a concerned look to Benny hoping he'd get the message that we should disband our group for the sake of everyone's feelings. He nodded at me once he caught my gaze. He held my hand and intertwined our fingers.

"Yeah, let's just go," Benny announced, walking away with me from everyone and patting Yeah-Yeah's back comfortingly.

"See you later guys," I waved. Once we were out of earshot, I said, "Man that was awkward. I can't believe Yeah-Yeah was gonna start crying."

"I know. I wish Alaska would see what a cool guy he really is, he loves her a real lot," he said, then added, "almost as much as I love you."

A smile tugged at the corner of my lips and I felt a light blush spread across my cheeks. Man, this kid's got me feeling some type of way.

He walked me home and he went on and on about The Great Bambino, but I zoned out and admired the sparkle in his eye he got whenever he talked about the things he loved. The way his long, dark lashes framed his gorgeous hazel eyes made the butterflies in my stomach go nuts.

I didn't even notice he had walked me home until his voiced snapped me out of my trance. "Goodnight Tina," he said softly, and pecked my lips.

I kissed back and when we pulled apart I whispered, "Goodnight Benji."

⚾️⚾️⚾️

A/n

Hey guys! Sorry for the way late update. I've been procrastinating. I don't know how often I'll be updating since school's started. Also idk how mushy and fluffy this story is gonna be since I gotta boyfriend. It just feels weird, y'know. Especially to me, since I like him a real lot. He's got that effect on me when you talk to someone, you get really nervous and you get butterflies in your stomach and blush uncontrollably. Weird, I know. I'm screwed. This boy gives me feels. Please continue leaving questions for the Q&A and follow me, since I'll be posting it as a message. Thanks. ILYGSM STAY GOLD!!!

Ps. I'm gonna try to update as often as I can.