Chapter 10 Alaska'sPOV

"What?" Christian and I asked in unison.

"We...are...playing...against...The...Tigers...next...week...because...they...want...you...girls," Ham managed to sputter out between gasps.

"Why would you ever decide to do that?" Christian shouted at him.

"Ham you stupid idiot!" I yelled at him.

He finally caught his breath and opened his mouth to say something nasty, but Benny cut him off by saying, "Never mind what Ham's bitchin' about, we gotta figure out what positions you guys play."

"Well I for one, play shortstop," Christian said and I could tell she was trying to annoy Yeah-Yeah by taking his position. And it was working.

"But that's Yeah-Yeah's position," Squints whined, mimicking her tone. You could definitely tell he and Yeah-Yeah were like brothers.

"Christian and I can switch out playing first," Timmy offered. Christian kept a straight face, but knowing she liked Timmy, I could see her eyes soften.

Benny looked at her and she just barely nodded her head once. I knew this girl was not gonna let herself fall for any boy easily. "Okay," Benny said cheerfully.

"What position is Alaska gonna play?" Bertram asked.

"Yeah yeah, what position?" Yeah-Yeah agreed. Everyone turned to look at me.

"I throw rocks," I offered hopefully.

"So like pitcher?" Smalls asked.

Everybody, including me, turned to look at Kenny. "Or catcher," he hissed quickly.

"She can be our relief pitcher," Timmy suggested.

"Our relief pitcher," Tommy repeated.

"Yeah, sure, just one thing guys," I said.

"What?" they all chattered, sounding confused.

"In New York, I only watched the pros. I've never really played before, ya dig?" I told them.

"What?" Ham asked brusquely.

"I-" Smalls started but was cut off by Squints who put his hand over Scotty's face and said, "I can teach her."

"No I can teach her," Yeah-Yeah argued.

They went back and forth for a minute until Benny said, "Why doesn't Kenny teach her, he is our pitcher."

"Yeah, Kenny should teach her, " Sadies agreed.

"I don't know Benny man," Kenny said reluctantly. "She's a girl and we don't even know if she can play."

"I can play De Nunez," I assured him.

"Yeah yeah, she can play," Yeah-Yeah agreed.

"Okay, okay. Lets take the mound," Kenny told me. We walked to the pitcher's mound and he demonstrated how to pitch.

"I got this man. I got it," I told him. "Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't pitch."

"Okay, okay. Sorry," Kenny apologized. Benny took everyone else except Ham into the outfield to practice some plays. Ham got into his catching position and pulled on his face mask. "Okay Doll-face, gimme everything you got," Ham taunted.

I held in a sly grin and took a deep breath. I really did know how to pitch, but I wanted to tease them. I wound up and threw wildly, missing the strike-zone by a mile. De Nunez and Ham erupted in laughter. I gave them death glares and Ham tossed the ball back to me.

"Okay Hot Stuff," he teased again, "this time try to keep the ball in the US."

This time I really did glare daggers into his name. I wounded up again and fired a rocked perfectly into Porter's glove. I was pleased to hear a loud smack and smiled proudly, feeling everyone turn and look. Hamilton slowly took his mask off and looked at his glove in disbelief. He took the ball out of the palm and held it in the sunlight as it were the most valuable thing he's ever seen. I looked over at Christian and she smiled. Then I glanced over to her brother who was practically drooling. We made eye contact for a split second, but I looked away quickly. Squints nudged him and I read his lips carefully. Did you see that Yeah-Yeah? She's a better pitcher than Kenny. You have like no chance with her, you're probably not even in the friend zone! I read Squints' lips tell Yeah-Yeah.

"Hold on man, that coulda just been luck," Kenny hooted.

"A'right Kenneth, let's see," I said catching the ball that Ham tossed me. Once again, I wounded up and threw a knuckleball. This time everyone, even Christian, looked at me disbelievingly.

"C'mon Porter, I'm not done yet."

I threw him a couple more knuckles, some curveballs, some screwballs, and some backdoor sliders.

Not even he knew those tricks.

"Alright, you're on the team!" Benny said.

"Congratulations Alaska!" Mercedes cheered.

"Thanks man!" I thanked.

"I know what we can call 'Laska!" Christian said.

"What?" the boys chattered.

"Strikeout!" she exclaimed.

"I think I like Alaska or 'Laska better," I said. They gave me their best Bronx cheers and we laughed.

"I'd better get home guys, I'll see you tomorrow," I said.

We exchanged our goodbyes and I left. I walked quietly, studying the neighborhood.

I got home and greeted my mom and ate a sandwich with some milk. I walked upstairs and climbed out my window and sat on the roof, watching the horizon. By the time the sun was setting, the sky was painted an array of pink, orange, and yellow, the clouds stretched beautifully across the sky and the pale moon was beginning to show.

I sat there, playing back the memory of the sunset over and over. I was thinking about all the fun I'd had so far and I'd gotten lost in my thoughts until I heard a faint whistle...

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
(A/N)
Omg you guys I finally updated! I'm so sorry I don't update so much, I've just been having writer's block because I know what I want to happen, I'm just so far away from that point and I'm already plotting the sequel (if you guys want one) and oh boy am I getting ahead of myself. I hope you guys liked this chapter, I tried really hard and I wanted to end in a cliffhanger, but well I didn't really succeed. ILYGSM STAY GOLD💛🌇

Woo! This is my longest chapter so far, a grand total of 1019 words!