Chapter 19 Sadies' POV

"Michael, shut up!" my older brother Matthew yelled at our younger brother, waking me up.

I rubbed my eyes groggily and looked at the clock on my dresser. 7:03. Why are they up so early?

"Both of you shut up!" I hollered and I threw a pillow at my door, causing it to close, just like I wanted.

I laid in bed for 5 more minutes and finally got up. I walked down the hall and into the bathroom to do my business and all that good stuff. I walked out and was hit with something.

My eyes instinctively opened wide and I saw Michael standing in front of me. He hit me.

"Oh you're dead meat Mikey!" I yelled, chasing him around as he screamed.

My mom finally got fed up with all the noise and scolded us. "What is with you guys and all this fighting? you know your father is trying to get some rest."

Our dad works nights sometimes and our mom is always in a rush. Mom has basically scheduled her entire life. Not fun to live with, believe me.

I pointed to Michael and answered, "He hit me for no reason."

"Nuh uh," he shook his head, "I was just playing around with Matt and I thought Sadies was him."

Mom sighed and grabbed her stuff hurriedly. "You guys please work it out. Matt! You take care of Mikey! Mercedes, you go out and have fun with Christian and Alaska. There's cereal in the pantry. Help yourselves, just don't overdo it. Love you guys, be good." She kissed the top of mine and Mikey's head and waved to Matt and hurried out the door.

Matt looked out the window and as soon as mom was gone he told me, "Sadies, you gotta watch Mikey for me today, I have a date."

"What?" I asked. "No way, Mom told you to take care of him. I actually have friends to hang out with, unlike yourself."

We went back and forth and finally decided just to let Mikey pick. Of course, he picked Matt.

There are some perks of being the only girl in your family.

I ran to my room and got dressed. Nothing special, I'm just going to watch the boys at the sandlot and stuff. (In picture)

I smiled as I ran out the front door and called out to my brothers tauntingly, "Have fun boys!"

***

I arrived at the sandlot and only Benny was there. "Hi Benny," I greeted.

"Hey Sadies," he replied smiling as he approached me.

"How come no one's here yet?" I asked looking around for everyone else.

He told me, "They're never this early." He laughed a bit and held my hand.

"So, you just come here, all by yourself?" I asked.

He nodded. "So, I was thinking, maybe I could take you on another date later?"

I grinned a mile a minute. My stomach was infested with butterflies and I felt the blood rush to my face. "That'd be lovely. Where to?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe we could go back to the diner or something."

"Yeah, or we could go watch a movie," I suggested.

He agreed just as Ham and Smalls arrived.

"Ooh sorry, did we interrupt something?" Ham teased and nudged Scotty.

As if cued, Scott laughed and Ham added, "If you want, we could get you a room!"

"Shut up, Ham," Benny said embarrassedly.

The teasing continued and eventually everybody showed up. I was finally gonna get to watch some ball.

Ham took catcher, Timmy first, Bertram second, Yeah-Yeah shortstop, Christian third, Squints left, Smalls left center, Tommy right center, Alaska right, Kenny pitcher, and that left Benny to bat.

"Okay guys, go first!" he ordered. He hit the ball as a grounder to Chrissy at third and she fired it to Timmy. Then Timmy threw it home to Ham.

"Nice," Ham commented and tossed the ball to The Jet. Benny then hit the ball to Yeah-Yeah who did the same as Chrissy. This continued until everyone got at least five turns. They practiced plays and then took a water break.

All 11 of them piled into the dugout with me and chugged some water down. Benny sat next to me and snuck his arm around my shoulders, making me smile and blush uncontrollably.

They talked about Babe Ruth and other baseball stuff. I didn't really pay attention because I'm more into draft horses.

I studied Chrissy and her situation with Timmy. I think they were fine because they were sitting next to each other and closer than just-friends would sit. I'm guessing that Timmy was joking around because Chrissy was giggling and they were both smiling like crazy.

It was adorable.

There is only one problem.

Chrissy is too nervous around him to ever ask him out and Timmy is too retarded to to ever know when he should make a move.

I was lost in my thoughts, but came back to Earth when I heard Benny ask, "You okay Sadies?"

"Yeah," I answered. "Just thinking."

He smirked. "About what?"

"Nothing that would concern you," Alaska chimed in, reading my thoughts.

Benny made an offended face and chuckled. I could sense Alaska staring at him and her facial expression remained sour, but I saw her cold eyes soften.

Squints was staring at her and I clicked my head towards him to let her know and she nodded. I know that Squints likes Chrissy, Alaska, and I, but he's just being creepy now.

Everyone was chattering and the heat was starting to get to us.

"Benny man, this pop isn't working," Ham complained, "I'm baking like a toasted cheeser, it's so hot here!"

"Yeah, it's way too hot for it to be healthy for you guys to play ball," I agreed.

"Yeah," everyone but Benny said.

"No it's not, it's not even that warm," Benny rolled his eyes.

"Benny, it's a hundred and fifty degrees out here, you can't play baseball," Alaska retorted.

"You gotta call it for the day," Chrissy added.

The boys erupted in "Yeah"'s and a "Yeah yeah."

"Fine, fine, fine," Benny gave in annoyed. "So what are we gonna do?"

"We can go to the local pool," I suggested and the boys groaned.

"What?" Chrissy asked.

Yeah-Yeah wiped sweat off his forehead and answered, "Squints got us banned forever from the pool two summers ago."

"Don't you think that's an exaggeration? Who would ban you forever from a pool?" I asked.

"Yeah, what did he do that was so horribly bad?" Alaska questioned.

All the boys looked at Squints.

He didn't say anything, so we glared at him until he snapped.

"Fine! I may have kinda made out with Wendy when she thought I was dying and had to give me mouth-to-mouth," he admitted.

Chrissy, Alaska, and I bursted into a fit of laughter.

After we calmed down, I suggested, "Okay, okay. Why don't we just try to get in, and if they tell us we can't, then we'll leave."

"Already tried that," Bertram told me.

"Yup," Timmy agreed.

"Yup," Tommy echoed.

"Well, how are we supposed to get in?" Chrissy asked.

"I might have an idea," Alaska grinned.