Sara

My name is Sara Walsh. I've been called lots of things, officer, bitch, ass hole, Ms. Walsh, Officer Walsh, Walshy, babe, baby, dick, and a lot of other inappropriate terms. I graduated from the Academy when I was twenty one years old, a year ahead of schedule, unlike my brother, Shane, who stayed a year later than schedule.

Me and my brother barely look alike. We both have brown hair and brown eyes, but that's where the similarities end. I'm sexy and he's not, end of story.

He and I have always been close, even before we were born. He was the prankster ass hole always looking for a way to get high or laid. I was the intelligent rebel. Most people would think bad and smart wouldn't mix, but they haven't met me. Or Adolf Hitler apparently.

I love my brother, and I love our best friends, the Grimes. Lori and I absolutely despise each other, ever since I found her snogging the football captain while she was dating Rick. She was lucky I loved Rick so much as not to hurt him. She tries to be nice to me, I think, but I can't stand her. Rick could've gotten someone so much better. She had to drop out of college when she had Carl, my absolute bestie, but Rick and I were in the Academy together. That's when the three of us got really close.

Shane and I live together, in our parents' old house. It's not much. We were never the richest people growing up, but it's a three bedroom, so it works. We have a little sister, Natalie, but she left as soon as she hit eighteen to move out with her boyfriend or girlfriend or whatever her sexuality was that day. I think it depended on the color of her undies.

Anywho, I'm getting off topic. My parents passed away two years after the Academy, when I was twenty three. I got a steady job at King's, but I never left home,because my dad had some trouble with his back. My mom was still fully functional and well, so she decided to go on a drive one day...my dad was with her...and they never came home.

It's been eleven years since my graduation from the Graduation, and I've just hit 34. I rued the day I hit thirty, and I rue the day I hit 35, and I'll rue the day I hit forty. I hate growing old, it's like putting a limit on the amount of fun you can have. I'm just gonna live while I can.

Carl's eleventh birthday is coming up, so I need to scrounge something up for my buddy. I'll call him Coral just because that sounds like how Rick says his name.

Work. Bleh. Work can be fun sometimes, but then it'll get so boring. The squad car looks cool, but when you sit there for hours on end, it's evil. Today was my day off, Saturday. Shane was at work, and I guess Rick was. I was laying around home, not doing much, when I decided to head over to the Grimes'. They've told me that I could go over uninvited, Shane too, and we do.

Before I even step inside, Carl's running up to me to give me a hug.

"Hey Sara!"
"What's up, squirt?" I ask him, shutting the door.
"Sara? Sara is that you?" Lori asks, walking in from the kitchen, drying her hands on a rag.
"Yeah, it's me. I got you something, kiddo." I pull out the small box and hand it to him. It was my father's. I don't need it any more, and Shane said he didn't want it. Hurt too much. He opens it, and sees the necklace with the deer head on it.

My dad was a major deer hunter. Most of that rubbed off on me, as he took me all the time. I'm not half assed at it either. My mom bought that for him on their sixteenth wedding anniversary. My dad took amazing care of all of his stuff.

"It's not my birthday yet, Sara." Carl looks at me.
"Don't think of it as a birthday present. Think of it as its a 'you're my friend and I wanted to give you a gift'."
Lori looks at the necklace and then at me, "Sara, he can't accept this."
"Yes, he can Lori." I flash her a look and she backs off.
"Thank you, Sara." I help him put the necklace on.
"There you go kid. You're an honorary Munchkin."
He laughs, "Can we go play outside?"
"Sure." We walk outside. I can feel Lori's glare on my back as I shut the door. The slightest of smiles dances on my lips.

We're playing basketball, and I'm not going easy on the kid, and we're at 6-7, me in the lead. I swear, this kid is either really good, or I just suck at basketball. I score another two point shot, and we call it game.

He runs inside real quick and comes back out win two ice pops. We sit on the curb, sucking on the frozen treats. His was red, mine was blue.

This is what Saturdays were meant to be like, just hanging out with friends, even if they are twenty years younger than you. Sure, he's eleven, but he's still my buddy. And he tells me I don't look a day over twenty, which is just the best thing I've ever heard, especially considering he doesn't tell Lori that. Score one for Sara.

Lori didn't like me hanging out with Carl, but she liked Shane and Shane liked me, and it was the same story with Rick. He and Shane and I would go and get a beer every now and then and just bullshit until the bartender kicked us out.

"Sara?" Carl asked. I look at him, his lips painted red.
"What's up?"
"Mom says I have to come in. Will you pick me up on Monday?" He asks. I usually do pick him up on schooldays, but I'm gonna be working overtime.
"No, I don't think so. I think your mom will, though."
"Ok. Bye, Sara."
"Bye, kiddo." He fist bumps me and I make my way home, still sucking on my ice pop.

The first thing I do when I get home is watch this stupid zombie movie. Psh. As if that'll happen.