15

Ashley

Maya and I stood hand in hand as she knocked reluctantly on the large, red door of her old front house. We stood outside for a good minute or two, waiting to see when someone would open the door. Suddenly, the door swung open quickly and there stood a very youthful looking older woman with Maya's curly hair, but shorter, and dark, glowing skin. Her mother.

Maya smiled nervously and looked at her mom, and her mom just stood there doing the same.

"Maya," She choked out, overwhelmed with shock.

"Hi, mom," Maya replied, her voice shaky from nervousness.

"Oh my goodness, child. We haven't seen you in years and now you show up unexpectedly? Lord, I swear one of these days you'll give me a heart attack," She said, her hand placed over her heart. "What are you standing there for? Come in!"

Her mom pulled us in and lead us into the living room. It was a spacious, white room with simple couches and a black rug on the ground. On the walls, frames of family photos were placed straightly in a row. Maya stared around at the walls for a while, noticing that these were all new family pictures. Ones that didn't include her. She gulped and looked down at her lap, playing with her fingers. I nudged her arm and gave her a supportive smile. I would be here for her.

"Christopher! Damon! Athena! Come downstairs now," Maya's mom called from somewhere in the house, her voice echoing.

"That's my dad, brother, and sister," She smiled sadly. I kissed her temple, pulling her into my body with one arm.

A minute or so later, they walked into the living room.

Maya's little sister, Athena, was a few inches shorter than her. She had dark brown eyes, lovely braided hair, and the same full lips as her sister.

Her brother, Damon, was tall and lean. His biceps were quite huge, and I figured that this was because he played football. He was wearing his football jersey and a pair of basketball shorts.

Her dad, Christopher, however, looked exactly like Maya. The same eye shape, face structure, and hair, too. Small ringlets laid at the top of his head, but instead of them being golden brown like Maya's, they were a jet black which faded into grey at the sides.

"Maya!" Athena exclaimed, running as fast as she could towards her sister, throwing herself at her for a hug. They protectively wrapped their arms around each other as if it was their last time ever seeing each other, standing warmly in their embraces.

Maya looked up at her brother, signaling for him to come forward.

"Damon, get over here," She laughed, pulling away from Athena so he could join in on their group hug. He rolled his eyes jokingly before walking over to his sister, burying his face in her curls as they all stood there, holding each other.

"I missed you, little sis," He breathed out, his voice slightly shaky.

Her dad stood from behind the couch, staring at his children. He didn't dare move a muscle. His face was still expressionless, keeping me from uncovering the emotions he was feeling at the moment. Maya's mom hit his arm lightly and pointed her head towards the kids as if to say "go and say hello." He stared at her, still emotionless, and turned his attention back to his children.

Maya, Damon, and Athena pulled away from their hug, all separating and finding their spots to sit on the couches. Evidently, Maya sat next to me on the small sofa.

She stared at her dad intensely, no words being spoken. The room was dead silent as he moved towards the front of the couch, heading to sit across from us with his wife. His eyes never left Maya's.