“Ok, thanks, be there in a sec,” Micah said.

How’s Micah so calm? She thought as Brendon left.  She peeked back at the picture. The woman was gone.

“Did you see her?”  Micah’s tone was eager.

She met his probing eyes.  “I…I’m not sure what just happened, but there was a lady in a red dress.”

He ran his hands through his hair.  He stepped closer, “Did you see anything else,” he paused, “when you came into the room?”

“No.”   Her knees felt weak, her ears were ringing. 

Micah’s face was close again as he gently took her arm.  “You look kind of pale, maybe we should sit down.”

“No, I’m fine,” but her body was shaking. He guided her to a couch, thankfully not the one in front of the painting.

They were both quiet. She glanced over.

“So yeah, I see ghosts. That’s what you wanted to ask right?” he asked.

“No, that’s not what I was going to ask. But that means I see ghosts too then, right?”

“I suppose so.”  He seemed thoughtful.

“Who is she?”

 “I don’t know.  I’ve only seen her a few times.”  The way he emphasized her lead Eden to believe he’d seen others.  She wasn’t sure she wanted to know more, it scared her.

“I guess I know why you’re reading the Bible now.”  She had said it in all seriousness, but Micah started laughing.  Confused, she stared back at him. 

“Oh, Eden,” he threw his arm around her shoulder, pulling her close. “I can’t tell you how glad I am you’re here.”

Startled, she felt him squeeze her shoulder.  She was at a loss for words.  Boys never acted like this around her.  But this isn’t just any boy, this is Micah.  We’re friends, so this is normal, she reminded herself.

She relaxed a bit and smiled.  “I’m not, should’ve stayed in Portsmouth, no ghosts there.”

He chuckled, his smile lingering.  And then she wasn’t so comfortable anymore.  He’s so close.  Why isn’t he laughing anymore, why’s he still staring at me like that? Why isn’t he saying something?

She looked away, breaking the weird moment.  “I haven’t seen you at school lately,” she admitted.

He sighed, bringing his arm back around as he lowered his body, resting his elbows on his knees.  “Yeah, well, I sort of see things a lot.  Like almost all the time.  Kind of makes it hard to be anywhere public.”

“Oh,” comprehension dawned on her.  “Like when I walked in and you were-”

“Yeah,” he interrupted.  “Just like that.”

“What are you going to do then, home-school?”

He sat back. “No, I’m, oh I guess you don’t know.  I’m leaving for Rome in a few days.  I’m going to be a foreign exchange student.”

Eden’s mouth opened, but nothing came out.  He’s leaving?  Just when I feel like we’re friends again and he’s gone?  The pain shooting through her heart was too much, her eyes began welling. 

I am not going to make a fool of myself crying!  She jumped to her feet, forcing out the words, “That’s awesome Micah. That’ll be fun.”

He rose, standing behind her.  “Thanks.”  It came out like a question.

 She accidentally sniffed.  Crud!  She scurried from the room, but he was right behind her, keeping up.

“Eden?” His hand first touched her arm, and then secured it in his grasp, making her halt.  “Wait, are you crying?”

“No,” she croaked.

Now, he was in front of her, his eyes sweeping her face. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” She directed her stare to the carpet.

He raised her face to his, their eyes finally meeting. There was a hitch in his voice as he said, “I’m going to miss you too.”

She was dumbstruck. Can he possibly feel the same way?

This time her mom walked in, interrupting what might have been a moment, but he didn’t let go of her arm.

“Oh sorry, I just wanted to tell you we’re getting ready to go Eden,” her mom announced. 

Eden tried to place her mom’s tone. Then her mom smiled brightly at Micah, “I’m so glad you two are getting close again.”

Thanks mom for making this even more awkward!

But Micah grinned back.  “Me too, I’ve missed my best friend.”