Chapter 1: Everything Has Changed

Start from the beginning

I slipped the itchy dress on and groaned when I realized that it was strapless, meaning I'd have to be picking it up every five seconds. If I don't get those free runs for this I swear I'm moving out and never coming back. I found some toms that I figured my mum would approve of and slipped them on. Great, now time for my favorite part (note the sarcasm). I went into my mum's bedroom and found her in the on-suite bathroom, setting up what looked like her own salon. I sat on the edge of the tub, facing the window the showed our backyard, and let my mum do my hair. I had always wanted to dip dye it crazy colors, but she says that it will ruin my hair; as if all the products and curling irons she uses don't. My mum used to work at an actual salon so she thinks she knows all, but hell, she thinks that about everything. That's why my freedom has been limited to a one o'clock curfew, only getting to hang out with girls, and no car. How does she expect me to have a social life? This isn't the 19th century mum.

Finally she finished curling my hair and had me turn around so she could work on my makeup. Most moms hate seeing their daughters wear makeup, but not mine, she loves it. And of course, I hate it. The stuff she uses is just really cakey and uncomfortable on my face. I never wore makeup in high school, but she's determined to get me a "man" as she calls it. Honestly, I don't have time for a relationship. I don't know of any human that would want to date me anyway. I'm fine with my microorganisms in the lab and my iPod when I'm running; that's all this girl needs.

The sun eventually began to set and my mom went from crazy to completely insane when she realized that we were running late. I followed her out the door and we walked across the street to the Tomlinson's house, which was basically the same as ours, just flipped. I rang the doorbell and seconds later Jay appeared. The mums shared a giddy moment together as they gushed over me, telling me how nice I looked and blah blah blah. I went along with it, but quickly found Phoebe and Daisy up in their rooms. Those girls were the only one's I could actually hang out with in this house without being bombarded with questions. I knocked on their door and they both smiled when they realized it was me. Whenever Jay was working the late shift at the hospital, I would come over and babysit the girls with Louis. I still do it now that he's gone, but it definitely isn't as fun.

"Emma! Come play dolls with us!" Phoebe said as I approached them and their large Barbie Dream-House. I have never been in to dolls, frankly they just creep me out. But I'll play anything with these two; they're sweethearts. I picked up one of the dolls on the ground and became the best princess I could be, which was really bad, but the girls didn't seem to mind. We heard loud voices coming from downstairs and both of the twins' heads shot up as they instantly dropped their dolls. We sat in silence for less than a second until simultaneously, they both jumped up and screamed "Louis!" as they ran downstairs. Oh great, he's here, let the fun begin. I picked up one of the dolls and looked down at it... Louis? Ohmygosh it's a Louis doll... that's a bit creepy. I threw it down instantly and got up off the ground, smoothing my dress.

Slowly, I walked downstairs. I could hear everyone talking loudly: the mums gushing about how good he looked, his sisters screamed they were so happy that her brother was home. But me, I just stood at the top of the staircase silently watching, wishing someone would notice the quiet ex-best friend waiting for an explanation. My wish was granted when I locked eyes with him. He stopped talking or paying any attention to anyone else. He looked almost shocked to see me. Well, if he had called once in awhile maybe he would've known that I would be here. I decided that standing alone above the stairway was getting old so I finally came down. I passed by my mom and she smiled at me, sending a quick wink. Obviously she had no idea of how much I hated the boy standing in front of me. I looked at Louis: he had changed so much in just two years. I wondered if I looked that different to him. His hair was cut shorter and styled into a quiff, totally celebrity-fied. He was growing out a bit of facial hair above his lip and under his chin, I see puberty finally hit. And his clothes were much more... stylish? Again with the rich bitch thing.

"Looks like Scott has finally grown up." he smirked, making everyone but me laugh. The way he called me by my last name, which was something we always used to do, reminded me of our old friendship. Did he really think that we were still best friends after two years of absolutely nothing? The way he smirked at me, like nothing was wrong, I just wanted to slap him; better yet, punch him. But now wasn't a good time, so I played along saying "You don't look too awful yourself, Tomlinson." He finally smiled at me and pulled me in for an awkward hug. I really didn't know what to do, so I just stood there and waited for him to pull away. Finally something got him to let go of me. Actually it was a someone.

"Louis? Can you help me unload the car?" a girl's voice was heard. I turned my head and saw a tall brunette in a classy burgundy dress, heels, and carrying a matching set of Louis Vuitton luggage. Oh God, who could this be? "Coming," he said as he ran out the door. About a minute later, he was back with two more bags. The girl stood next to him and smiled at us all as we waited for an introduction. "Everyone this is my girlfriend, Eleanor. I believe Mum has already met her, but we've been together for about four months." Louis spoke and Eleanor nodded, smiling at all of us.

"Nice to meet you." everyone murmured. Here's another something about me: if I don't know you already, I'm not going to be my crazy self. Only few people in the world have ever witnessed my craziness, and I doubt Eleanor will be one of them. So when she's here, I'll just be the shy girl in the back of the room.

"Well, let's all eat! Dinner is ready, come in!" Jay led everyone into the dining room and we sat down. I sat next to Lottie and Fizzy, whom I had yet to talk to today. I wonder if they knew about Eleanor and if they did, did they like her? For dinner, Jay had cooked a roast beef for everyone and served it with all kinds of side dishes. Once everyone had been served, we took a moment to say Grace and then began eating. At first it was quiet, but the mums always had to get a conversation rolling.

"So Eleanor, how's school going?" Jay asked. "Great, I just finished up my exams for the semester and I think I did fairly well." she answered. Oh, so she goes to Uni. "Emma, aren't you planning on starting school this year?" Jay turned to me. I felt my cheeks blush as I finished up a bite of the roast and spoke. "Yeah." was all I said. "Do you know where you'll be going?" she asked again. I thought my mother told her about all my college plans. Surely she would have told her about all the acceptance letters I had received. "I'm not sure yet. I've been excepted to a great deal of schools, but I'm still waiting on one more letter." I sighed.

I only applied to about six schools, but out of all of them, I wanted to go to Stanford the most. Last year I went to California to visit my aunt and I instantly fell in love with the school. Of course, Oxford and Cambridge were nice too, but I really want to go to Stanford. Plus, they have a great science program and a track team.

"Oh, Emma, Stanford is a great school, but so is Cambridge, can't you just go there?" my mother asked. "Stanford? In California?" a voice at the end of the table finally spoke up. He stared at me wide-eyed. "Yeah, it's my dream school." I said. He must've realized how weird he looked as he shrugged back down in his seat and took a sip of the wine in his glass. "What's your major?" Eleanor asked me. "Biochemistry and Biophysics." I answered. "Wow, so you're like, really smart?" Yeah, most science nerds are given the term smart. "Top of the class, valedictorian, and a scholar athlete. Don't know why I became friends with such a nerd, but it sure helped during the SATs" Louis said and even I chuckled at that. He always made fun of me being a nerd, until he got a D on his English paper.

Dinner finally ended and the mum's went into the kitchen while the girls headed for bed; leaving me, Eleanor, and Louis alone in the living room. And trust me, the atmosphere was awkward. "I'm going to go see if they need any help in there." I got up and walked into the kitchen. Too busy talking to even notice me, I walked back into the living room not even a minute later, but the scene had changed. Eleanor was on Louis' lap as they carried out some pretty heated snogging.

I don't know what was happening, but I felt a lump in the back of my throat watching them. My lip began to quiver and I worried that I was going to cry, what was wrong with me? Did I want that? Was I jealous of Eleanor? Of course not, I hated Louis. But that doesn't mean I missed him. I knew that our friendship would never be the same once he came back, because everything had changed. He was no longer Louis and I was no longer Emma. He was Louis Tomlinson: singer, teen heartthrob, and millionaire. I was Emma Scott: Science nerd, small town girl, and as I was now known throughout the town, "the depressed one."