Chapter Twenty-nine

Magsimula sa umpisa

When the day of my surgery finally arrives, its three weeks to Christmas. I get up at five thirty in the morning to make the trip to the hospital. Jude, Aidan, and Quinn come with us to the hospital this morning, along with my parents. Everyone else stays home.

Once we arrive at the hospital, I check in, filling out paper work and the nurse at the counter puts a hospital id bracelet on my wrist. I change into a scratchy, uncomfortable gown,

The nurses who are on my prep team bustle around, attaching cords to machines all over my body and sure I'm as comfortable as they can make me. Mom, who is standing beside me, holds my hand in a vise like grip. She is the only one who's allowed to be in the sterilized room while I'm being prepped for surgery.

The nurses booted every one else out about ten minutes ago into the waiting room.

"Good morning!" Dr. Shover waltzes into the room, a big and bright smile on his face. "How are you this morning, Emma? And mom?" He shakes our hands and then starts checking the charts a nurse gives him.

"We're all set to go, if you are." A nurse, who introduces herself as Marie, says.

They already explained the procedure. Once I'm in the operating room, I will be put to sleep with a general anaesthetic while they open up my leg, and try to repair the damaged nerve.

I'm nervous about being put to sleep, the faint possibility that I will never wake up scaring me. 

"You'll be alright sweetie. I'll be right here when you wake up," my mom says, leaning down and kisses my forehead before she leaves the room.

She leaves, out of my sight and my heart starts beating faster than I can speak.

It's finally settling in, that this is it. In a few minutes, I will be going 'under the knife.'

"Hey Emma. You'll be fine, you'll come out a champ," Marie says and smiles down, noticing the rapid beeping of the heart monitor beside me. 

"I'm just...scared," I admit, and she pats my hand and adjusts the rails of the bed. Marie stays beside me as orderlies rolls my bed out of the room and down the hall, the machines and IV pole trailing behind me. Once we arrive into the operating room, which is even more sterilized than the last, Marie sits beside me.

"I can't blame you for being scared. You're brave. And you don't need to worry, we will take good care of you."

I nod, honestly believing her and the doctors professionalism. Marie helps me lay back and lifts mask.

"This is going to go over your mouth and nose, and you'll breath in the anaesthetic."

She puts the mask over my face. "Now, count backwards from ten, okay?"

"10."

"9."

"8."

"7."

"6."

"5."

"4."

"3."

"2."

"1."

"Ready or not, here I come!" I say and uncover my eyes, turning around to face the park, eager find Austin. I run over to the tree house that is built in the middle of the park, but before I am even half way there, movement catches my eye.

It's Austin, running toward the slide.

I take off towards him, intend on tagging him.