Chapter Thirty-four

Chapter-Thirty-four

Its Christmas Eve and no one is in the spirit.

Jude, Quinn, the twins, and I are all watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, a holiday classic. Mom went to do some last minute shopping with Joey and Logan for tomorrow's turkey dinner. It's quiet, something unusual for this house. I yawn, covering my open mouth and sip the chocolate milk in my hand.

I stare at the tree in the corner of the living room, decorated in multi-coloured ornaments. Some are boughten but most are homemade. The only presents under the tree right now is the ones we give to each other. We have to keep an eye on Joey, because he likes to snoop. Yesterday I caught him shaking a present, a picking at the paper.

If it was a normal Christmas, we'd all be surrounding the television watching a movie, eating sugar cookies shaped like trees and snowmen with sprinkles and hot coco. When everyone went to bed, our parents would set out presents.

"Okay," Dad says, entering the living room. He holds a box, setting it down beside the television. He faces us, hands on his hips. ""I know this is a hard time for all of us, but instead of grieving, we should remember Tyler. Remember how happy he was, how aloof he was."

"What are you talking about Dad?" Jude asks.

Dad smiles and reaches into the box he just sat down. He pulls out a clear case with a disk in it. "You're mom had all of the film developed and transferred onto disks," he says, referring to the homemade videos our mom used to take during all kinds of events such as birthdays and sports events to Christmas and summer trips, capturing moments she said she never wanted to forget.

I forgot about them until now.

He puts one of the cd's into the playstation.

"Wait," I say, waving my hands. "I don't know about this Dad."

I didn't know if I can handle the content of the videos. Tyler will be in some of them. And seeing his face, his toothy smile, will be difficult. Beside me, Quinn is looking at his hands.

Dads face softens. "If its too much, I promise, we will shut it off," he says, looking around the room for any one who objects to this idea.

After a moment, I nod. He pushes play.

The screen fills with Jude's face.

"Is it on?" my mom asks, sighing. "The red light is supposed to be on."

Jude rolls his eyes and nods. "Yes mom, the camera is on," he says and pushing the camera out of his face.

"Thanks honey," she says, the camera zooming in on the beach, near summer cabins we'd go to for summer vacations. She zooms in on Owen and Logan throwing sand at Quinn and Tyler. Tyler's wearing black shorts, his brown hair askew in the wind. 

"Boys!" she yells, her tone stern. "Stop that! Someone is going to get sand in their eye!" The four of them stop, turning to look at mom. Logan drops the sand in his hands, glaring at Tyler.

Tyler smiles. "Don't worry mom," he says, rolling his eyes. "We're just joking around!"

"If all fun and games until someone gets hurt Tyler," Dad says behind the camera, which swivels to find him. He's sitting in the sand, playing with three year old Joey. He points to the camera, trying to get Joey to wave.

"Joey, wave to the camera! Say hi!" Joey shakes his head, ignoring dad and going back to the sand. 

"I think we've all forgotten how quiet and peaceful Joey used to be," Aidan say, laughing. Everyone joins him, breaking the tension in the room.