Chapter Twenty: Gone Missing

The next morning was yet another rude awakening from a stupid dream. Marley was right next to me sound asleep which has scared me at first because I didn't recognize her presence until my groggy eyes blinked away the glaze of fog.  I had to sit up out of bed only to hear my stomach growl at me. I glanced at my clock noting it was six in the morning and I could have slept in just a little longer but no, that's not how my brain decided to function. I carefully crept my way into the kitchen so as not to disturb Marley or Melanie. Lord knows the two of them would be much more grouchy than me being woken up at this hour. Melanie would have ended up with her terrible hangover killing her mood. Marley would have been unhappy about missing her long sleep. I would prefer anything than having to awake those two.  I sighed as I walked over to the fridge opening it assorting through random snacks. My first choice was to go for the random bowel of whatever at the top, only to find that it was probably some of Melanie's leftovers from restaurants she attended months ago, gross. I scavenge around until I decided on some milk  and corn bread we made a few days ago it was better than I was expecting it to taste. After finishing my snack I decided to make myself useful and clean up the living room since it was trashed with discarded beers and various garments that I knew had belonged to Melanie. 

     When I finished I had not yet noticed but some how Ben had appeared in my apartment during my little cleaning spree. When I looked up from grabbing some beer cans he scared the living daylights out of me but doing absolutely nothing he was just sitting on the counter playing with his stupid ass hat. ''Ben what the fuck!'' I whisper shouted as I almost managed to drop a beer can but with skill I caught it in time. ''Oh did I scare you? Sorry I didn't see you there.'' Ben said blankly as I rolled my eyes watching him rummage through his hat as if for a prize. ''What are you even doing here? Melanie and Marley might wake up soon and I would rather they don't wake up to find a deranged idiot in our apartment. I dropped the beer cans in our trash and tried to look at what Ben was doing. He only pushed me out of his way while I raised my eyebrows and soon he was finished. ''There we go Martha all better.'' He smirked as he plopped his stupid green hat back on. ''Didn't you name it some-''

 ''It's Martha now and she can do what she wants.'' Ben protested as he straightened his hat, I put my hands up in defense shaking my head. ''Anyway I came here to warn you , this also has to do with why Martha has a new name.'' I leaned on my elbow on the corner of the kitchen counter. ''Warn me about what ? Jeff's going to kill me someday ? Yeah I already knew that.'' 

 ''No it's not just that, he knows about you.'' I looked up at Ben ready to ask him what he meant but then I realized on my own. ''Is that supposed to be bad ?'' how stupid I sounded I did not know but Ben's face sure expressed it well. ''Of course you doof!'' Ben replied whapping me in the back of my head as I responded by doing the same. ''I don't have to worry I'm already staying away from him.'' 

 ''You really think your smarter than him ? He's already on track with finding you!'' Suddenly as he grabbed my arm we heard footsteps from the hallway and Ben huffed. ''Were going to talk later but you better be careful, and if he happens to find about that little bun you have in the oven he'll for sure make sure you go to sleep!'' Ben growled as he was gone in a flash. I held my arm where he had gripped onto me tightly and it was left with a red hand mark as I looked down at it. As I held my arm I heard Marley speak up. ''Dimitri.. I had a scary dream last night about your friend Jeff...''  I walked over to her and sat down on the floor  I took Marley's hand softly. ''Hey honey it's going to be okay.. wait a minute ..did you just say... Jeff?'' Marley nodded in response I could feel my eyes widen from shock. ''What did he do Marley?'' I asked as Marley looked down with a pout. ''Come on honey you can tell me..'' I coaxed but something just didn't feel right.  

  ''Well he um.. he...'' Marley started , she almost seemed ready to cry as I hugged her. ''It's alright honey really it's okay.'' I said as she clenched on to me bursting into tears. She would so for a few minutes longer before I could hear her begin to speak as I listened carefully she whispered. ''What was that Marley ?'' I asked confused as she whispered again and I could hear a faint bit of it. Then once again I asked her to repeat what she said  and I could hear it clearly the last time. Her voice was gruff and no longer that of a little girls as he whispered ''Go to fucking sleep!'' like a snake and hissed as I pulled away. Marley was no longer sitting in front of me. Jeff was there forming from a crinkled up position. I had to watch as he warped from some kind of limp noodle into his tall and creepy stature. I leaned back up on my elbows before I tried to crawl away and stand up. Jeff was swift and rough as he latched on to my arm and pushed me back into the counter pinning my back against it. ''Where do you think your going Dimitri?'' He asked his crooked smile lingering over my face as I attempted to push him off me. ''No where you need to know !'' I spat as a sharp pain made its way down my arm . I turned to find that Jeff had stuck a knife into my palm pinning it to the counter. I closed my eyes at the strenuous pain to keep from crying or showing that I was weak in anyway. ''Did you really think you could crawl away from us? We know you can't keep your nose out of anything you'll come running right back if it's good for you or not!'' he chuckled throwing his head back. I just wiggled my hand around trying as best I could to ignore him , looking at him while being the monster he was , was enough. Knowing I couldn't save the monster was even worse to think about.