Chapter Seventeen: Visions

''No sir, we were just drunk and things got out of hand. When I woke up the next morning I was in the hotel. ''

''So you didn't return to the dorms at anytime in the middle of the day?''

''No. In fact I didn't even learn about Oliver until just a few hours ago..''

''Are you hiding anything else mam?''

''No sir.'' I shook my head slightly as I bounced my leg nervously under the table. The sheriff finished writing down what he needed on his notepad. My eyes felt heavy from the lack of sleep I had. The room was quiet and the steam from the two coffee cups on the interrogation table was rising into evaporation spreading the smell. I bit the inside of my cheek watching the sheriff.

''Your free to go mam. Please do take into regards that you should get some sleep.''  His voice found my attention as I looked up at him heading towards the door and opening it. I nodded and stood up slowly.

''Thank you officer'' I whispered as I looked up at him before leaving the room. I rubbed my eyes as I walked down the hallway passing several rooms. I felt someone slam their shoulder against mine as I made it to the end of the hallway. I looked up to see who it was. I seen Jeff's face causing me to gasp and step back. I was then startled by the touch of someone's hand.

''Dimitri?''

I whipped around to find Melanie standing there.

''M-Melanie?'' I asked looking at her after checking for Jeff's face once more but not seeing anything so I turned back to Mel.

''Oh my god you look like you haven't been sleeping are you alright?''

''I-I uh yeah, I just didn't have a goodnight last night is all ,or a good morning for the matter.''

Melanie hugged me and I hugged her back slowly.

''Here how about we go get something to eat you can tell me every-

''Let's just go home Mel, I just don't feel well, at all.''

''Sure. I guess let's head home then.'' Melanie looked at me as if showing me that she was shocked by my reaction. We both then headed outside to her car. The both of us pin dropping silent as we sat there in the seats. Her music turned on as if to rid the car of the awful silence. The two of us didn't exchange a word until we got to our dorm. I went and sat down on the couch pulling my knees to myself as Melanie put her things away.

''What the hell is wrong ?'' she asked crossing her arms standing in front of me.

''I know you just had to deal with the fact that our new friend got murdered but-

''But I have no excuse to act so weird right?'' I could feel the anger in me balling up. I wanted to tell her I promise . but I couldn't. She would never believe me.

''Melanie I just don't feel well-

''It's because you haven't taken your pills.'' she snapped.

''My pills have nothing to do with the fact that someone just died Mel.''

''Yes but they have to do with your mental state. Your all screwy without them!''

''Melanie just shut up! Also for your information I haven't taken those pills for the last three years. There is a full bottle in my bedroom, untouched, and unused.'' I growled lightly.  Melanie gave me a stare of shock just like at the police station . I just shook my head at her looking away.

''Why do you deny any help anyone give's you! Look at what it's doing to you!''

''For Christ sakes Melanie just shut your damn mouth! Your not my goddamn parents just leave me alone!'' I suddenly snapped which was so not like me. I stared at her silently before I got up from the couch and rushed past her to my room. She grabbed at my arm and called my name but I didn't listen to her as I slammed my door shut behind me locking it.