PROLOGUE

Lilian's P.O.V.:

I popped one of the many frozen individual pizzas stocked in my freezer inside of the microwave before welcoming the person who was knocking on the front door. It wasn't a surprise to greet my neighbor and close friend, Nathaniel, who had my mail in hand. He smiled kindly and laughed at how the mailman always confused our bills. Honestly, no one except us could understand how true this was. Nate also reminded me about throwing out my garbage as I often forgot to put it out before the truck came. I got right to it, if I waited any longer, the night was not going to be considered either young or safe. Unfortunately, my trash was extremely heavy this time, and while hurling the thing down to the garbage chute, I saw something at the end of the tunnel, which wasn't garbage; more like a human body. Specific, yes, but the more I leaned into the hole, the more it could be confirmed. There was an actual body down there and it may or may not be dead.

Some people would say it's crazy to go down to the dumpster alone at midnight, some people would say it's heroic - well if there is a body there. Though, besides that, I thought it would be the right thing to do. But, when I did get down to the back of the building where no one was to be seen, I started to question my former statement and began to see what those people meant. This was crazy, absolutely insane. Especially when I see not just anybody's body, but one that I knew, or everyone in Boston knew. 

Obsidian Haze.

Struck with fear, my breath was caught in my throat and the only way out of it was to turn and run. I slowly started to back away, as quietly as I could. If he was just knocked out, then he could wake up from the slightest sound. Though, it wasn't as easy as it seemed. There was a body under that thick costume of his and from what I could tell, was seriously damaged. My head shook at my pitiful judgment that could have been the cause of my own death. Ignoring all instincts telling me to leave, I walked up to the body and poked it. Once, twice, a few more times and then came to the conclusion that the body was in fact unconscious. A part of me was relieved that the body wasn't dead, but maybe for the sake of the city, it should have been otherwise. Obsidian Haze was in fact the most dangerous supervillain of our time and yet here I was, carrying his perishing body up the exterior stairwell to my floor and into my own apartment. Obviously, this was the worst idea and red flag I had ever experienced. It was pure luck that no one entered the hallway and caught me. I laid him out on my couch, careful to take his shoes and coat off before they stained my furniture. There was blood everywhere and at this point, I wished I was a real doctor, not studying criminal law. Fortunately, my mother was a doctor herself and that was close enough of a relation to be able to fix him up. At least, that was sufficient to maintain his survival as it could be imagined that he wasn't welcomed at any hospital looking like that.

Now, why was I helping the worst villain ever? Since I started criminal law, I began to realize how quickly people came to rash decisions and condemn people to what they thought was who they were. Obsidian Haze had done a whole lot of bad decisions but what if some of those things were subtly made to help people? I didn't know much about him personally, only the things on TV. But once I ripped open his shirt to stop the bleeding from several severe wounds, I began to realize that this guy wasn't in fact as old as the reporters suspected. Another accusation proved to be wrong. Thinking that bandaging his wounds would force him to thank me or at least decide on a lesser violent way to murder me, I kept going until I smelled something burning. Dammit, my mini pizza!

Axel's P.O.V.:

I woke up in a dark, unfamiliar room. It smelled funny and it was incredibly cold, though that could be due to the loss of my shirt. I tried to move, as I was obviously in danger, but was instantaneously reminded that I couldn't because of a few wounds that wannabe-hero gave me. I was also made aware that my cuts were fairly deep - that dick - but the weird thing about them was that they were bandaged. Usually, when someone captures another, they leave them alone, and helping them was out of the question. Especially, if you were me. I knew how big and bad everyone believed I was, which I definitely took pride in after all those years of disheveling. However, to be relocated without restraint was mind-boggling. Either this person was stupid and ignorant or I wasn't being held captive at all.

In order to collect as much energy to get up from lying so conspicuously, I inhaled as much oxygen as possible. I followed the scent of burnt food, curious and anxious to know where I was. This flat was for a girl, no one else would have so many ridiculously useless things like plants everywhere. I mean there were a few in what I assumed was in the living room, but once I was stumbling around, I noticed that there were about a million more stored on basically any flat surface and even hung around the ceiling. It made me curious to know if that was a health and safety violation. Well that, and the fact that the pictures in the frames consisted of one constant female. My tense muscles relaxed slightly. I wasn't going to have to fight anyone anymore tonight.

The light and soft music lead me to the kitchen, where a tall and lean girl sat munching on burnt pizza. That explained the smell. She was buried in a magazine of, you guessed it, plants. Hesitantly, I took a step forward, reluctant about moving out of the shadows, wincing when one footstep produced a squeak. Her head snapped up, big green eyes meeting mine. At first, I could tell that she was afraid like she was trying to tame a wild animal or something. But then realized, through examining my weak posture and tired aurora, that I was harmless and she gave a hint of a smile. In her eyes, I was a killer. A jackass. A supervillain. And in my eyes, I was all that too, but also a bit vindictive. We stood there for a good few moments, just staring at each other speechless. I didn't know whether to leave or thank her - as if that would happen.

"Did you want a slice?" She asked through a muffled mouthful of food. I wasn't taking control of the situation strangely, and no matter how hungry I was, I promised myself already that I wouldn't dare try that repulsive piece of crap. I wasn't planning on dying tonight nor in that way either. How could she even offer? "It's not much, but I also have club soda if you want, Axel."

"How do you know my-" I touched my face and froze. I stopped breathing. I stopped blinking. My entire body tensed. My mask wasn't on my face. This deranged girl had seen my face and recognized me. It could not have gotten any worse.

"Well you were in my sociology class freshman year and I've got to say, I'm very surprised that this is you now. I mean, wow, you've changed a mighty bit. Of course, you may not remember me, my name's Lilian-" I wasn't even listening to this chick explain herself, my heart had dropped on the floor. My worst nightmare had finally come true.

And it truly bit me in the ass.

~

Lilian's P.O.V:

I think I rambled out of nervousness for about another five minutes until I realized that I was talking to a statue. Obsidian Haze, well I've known him better as Axel Knox, stood still under the frame that connected the kitchen to the living room. I didn't hear him get up, but at the same time, I haven't heard a single word come out of him after that either. I thought the villain was supposed to be terrifying, but the more I examined him up close, he was actually pretty lame. Sure, I took his mask off, but it was only to help stitch the man. If it wasn't for me, he would probably be dead right about now. Especially if one of his many, many, many opposers found out where he was.

"I think the words you've been looking for for the past five minutes are 'Thank' and 'You'. We can say it slowly if you'd like," I dared to tease him, closing my magazine. Well, if he was going to just stand there, I may as well have had some fun. "May I remind you it's not every day someone is going to help you while you're still in that." Nothing. He reflected it off as if I wasn't blabbing out things that otherwise would have gotten me murdered. I wasn't worried, talking was one of my specialties and not only did it relax me, but it also let me gain confidence. I sighed, saying a few words about how disappointing he actually was, and then got up to put my plate in the dishwasher. That was when Axel finally let his own breath go but, who knew that I would regret hearing his next words for what would seem like an eternity after.

"There's no way in hell you out of all people found out my identity before anyone else." He angrily furrowed his brows, his tone harsh, like it was hard to control his inner self. I tuned in cautiously, preparing myself. He then took a deep breath and began to shed some light as to why everyone was so terrified of him. "Listen and, listen closely. Because you fixed me up tonight, I'll let you pick your choice as a form of gratitude. You have two options. One, which I'd prefer you pick, you get a quick and fairly painful death, or two, we become roommates while you aid me at any point I ask of you. And please, choose quickly, I hate waiting."