39. "Meet my fucked up family"

I nervously tug at the baby blue dress I'd received as a gift from John, which coincidentally matches my eyes. I'm sure it cost an upward of two hundred dollars, but I'm not complaining. The charm bracelet Ashton got me dangles from my wrist. 

My blonde hair is in soft curls, nails painted a shimmery pink and nude heels on my feet. Maybe I dressed up too much for Ashton's mum, maybe I under dressed, and this situation is too stressful for me to handle.

A knock comes from the front door, and Chad rushes to answer it. "You're so annoying!" I yell, trying to calm my nerves.

"Don't be a bitch!" he calls back, laughing slightly.

"I do what I want," I mumble to myself, desperately picking at my gel manicure. It's stupid; I go get my nails done and BAM! I pick the polish off. Is it seriously that hard for me to keep my nails looking nice?

I close my eyes and lean my head against the wall. Tonight, tonight is the night that I meet Ashton's family, and while I'm sure they're nice, if they don't like me, my relationship with my boyfriend will shatter and be no more. It's a life or death kind of moment, honestly.

Deep breaths, I remind myself over and over again. It doesn't help my nerves one bit.

"Babe," Ashton sighs, hugging me from behind.

"I'm okay, see?" I turn, giving a shaky smile.

"Why're you so nervous?" he asks, burying his face into my neck.

"What if they don't like me?" I whimper.

"They'll love you. Come on, now, if dinner gets cold, she may not love you as much," Ashton smiles teasingly.

"Fuck you," I huff, taking his hand and leading him out of the house to his car. 

"Mackayla, you don't have to go," Ashton reminds me, squeezing my hand gently. I clench my eyes shut and try very hard to just breathe. Ashton makes it hard for me to breathe all the time because, well, he's so beautiful.

"Yes, I do. You've already met mine. Hell, you spent Christmas morning with my fucked up family," I sigh, moving from his grasp and opening the car door. He pouts, so I pull him by the strings on his hoodie in hopes to lighten the mood. It doesn't work, even when I peck his lips one, two, eleven times. In fact, he doesn't even respond. "Ashton," I whine, pinching his cheeks.

"Yes, dear?"

"I love you," I tell him, kissing his lips again. This time, Ashton responds, thank God.

"I love you, too, baby girl," he smiles, helping me into the car. "And you're about to meet my fucked up family," he laughs before shutting the door on me. 

I know Ashton has been through a lot in his life. His dad fucking left him, and unlike me, he remembers it. Since then, he's been a father figure to his younger brother, Harry. I've been a mother figure to Miranda, but that's different because Miranda has her mother in her life, while Harry doesn't have his father.

I watch Ashton walk to the other side of the car, memorizing the way he moves. If he ever ended things between us, I want to remember him as he is now: happy. I know I won't end things, and I hope he realizes this.

"Why're you staring at me?" he giggles, starting his car and driving around the circular driveway.

I blush and look away. Telling him he's beautiful would be awkward, and I do believe that's a quote from The Fault in Our Stars. Wouldn't want NASA getting mad at me.

"They're going to love you," Ashton promises, taking my hand and placing a kiss against my knuckle. "I love you, so it's just a matter of fact."

"Quit being a sap," I laugh.

"It's the truth!"

We sit in silence for twenty minutes until, that is, Ashton pulls into the driveway of a smaller house. Of course, compared to my- er, John's house, every home I visit is smaller.

I bite my lip and prepare myself for this. What if they don't like me? What if I fart or something? Oh, God, please don't let me fart in front of his family.

"Babe, lighten up a bit. Everyone will like you!"

"I'm going to die," I yelp.

"I'm not going to let you die on me, ass hole."

"Am I over dressed?" I ask, tugging my dress lower after Ashton helps me out of the car.

"No, you look perfect, as always." I smile into the kiss he plants on my lips. "You're gorgeous, too," he tells me, taking my hand in his and leading me to the front door. "With your heels on, you're slightly taller. I don't have to break my back to kiss you anymore."

"I'm not that short!" I chuckle, hitting him lightly.

"Yes, you are. I have to lean to grab your bum,"he proceeds to demonstrate that notion, earning a yelp from me (I wasn't expecting it, okay?) before he knocks on the door, and I wait for his Mum, brother, or sister to answer the door. It's nerve wracking, after all. 

A young boy, who probably does not enjoy being called young, opens the door. "Ashton!" he yells, tumbling into Ash. 

"Hiya, Harry," Ashton smiles, patting the younger boy's back lovingly. I stand off to the side awkwardly, letting them enjoy their brother to brother moment. I know they don't get many of those since Ashton has school and lives on his own, so seeing this kind of warms my heart.

"It's Christmas!" Ashton's sister smiles brightly, running into her brothers and hugging them tightly. 

"I hadn't realized," he chuckles, holding his siblings close. It's really sweet, seeing him interact with children.

After a moment, two sets of eyes look expectantly at me, and I choke on air, desperately looking for Ashton to introduce me.

"Right- um, Lauren and Harry, this is Mackayla," Ashton smiles at me. "Now let's go see Mum," he smirks, running into the house, Harry following after.

"Mackayla, wait," Lauren's voice says behind me. I stop in my tracks and turn to meet the girls eyes.

"You can- uh, you can call me Mac," I mumble, scratching my arm.

"Okay," she blushes. Maybe she's just as nervous as I am. "Anyways, Mac.. I wanted to say thank you."

"For what?" I smile softly.

"You made the cuts disappear," she says in a small voice. "You make him happy, and he quit hurting himself."

"Oh- well, you're welcome?" I try when she hugs me tightly.

She pulls away and smiles brightly. "And you're so over dressed," she giggles, and I swear all the Irwins have the same giggle.

Lauren pulls me along behind her, telling me to slip of my "stupid, fancy shoes" and "woman up". Honestly, I really like Lauren. She reminds me of a mix of Miranda and Erica, two of my favorite people.

"Mum, this is Mackayla, but she wants you to call her Mac," Lauren speaks up, dropping my hand and yelling for Ashton.

"It's a pleasure to meet you finally," Ashton's mum smiles. I stick my hand out for her to shake, but like a typical Mum, she settles in for a hug.

"Finally?" I question when she pulls away. Ashton and I have only been dating for a week or two now.

"Yes, yes. My baby talks non stop about you. He has been for months now," she winks.

"Oh," I blush. 

"Please tell me you haven't said anything embarrassing, Mum. I was only gone for a minute," Ashton pants from behind me.

"I've already showed her baby pictures and told her about that time you took a dump on a tree, don't worry," his mum laughs.

"Oh good God," Ashton whimpers, throwing his hands in his face. I just laugh. Tonight won't be so horrible after all. 

This took two days to write I am so sorry sue me.

Erin xx