•|Chapter 21|•

*I had this pre-written before everything happened, so what is written here is not intended to be disrespectful. when I read what happened, it broke my heart. Daniel just never seemed- ugh idk. I can't write enough to do justice for him. my love and prayers go out to everyone in need of them. ok and one last VERY IMPORTANT thing. please, p l e a s e do not be afraid to talk to me- about anything. if you're feeling down, please talk to me or talk to someone because its so very important that you are living and breathing and walking this earth. and if you haven't been told today, I'm so proud of you. I'm so proud of the little fact that you chose to get out of bed this morning. you are all great human beings and I never want any of you to feel like you aren't.

rip Daniel, you'll be missed😓*

"A-hah!" Daniel called out, splitting the pot between him and Abel for that round.

"Finally someone else wins for a change." Ryan chuckled, glancing over at (y/n).

"Well, I said I would pay Abel back, so I had to win." She stated

"4 times?" Daniel breathed

"You only get half the pot every time you win!" She giggled

I could already feel my spirits start to brighten, just by being around her. Her aura mesmerized me. Everyone once in a while she would look up from her cards and catch me staring at her, which at that point I'd have to look away and act like nothing happened. All of us just drank and played throughout the night until
(Y/n) announced she should probably get going, since she had work in the morning. Both Abel and I stood up from our seats, offering to give her a ride home.

"Uh." She stood up slowly and walked over to the door to put on her shoes.

"I need to go home anyway. I'll just take you, neighbor." Abel muttered, locking his gaze on mine.

They were neighbors?

"Guys I really don't care, I just want to go home." She whined

"It's fine I'll take her. I think I'm a little less intoxicated." I mumbled back, moving myself closer to the door.

"Ryan? Would you mind taking me home?" She asked in his direction.

"It would be a pleasure." He stood up and walked towards a very surprised Abel and I.

"I'd hate for this to be such a problem. I mean I can walk." She said casually.

I snickered and looked her straight in the eyes. "There's no way. You'd get picked up or mugged or something. This isn't Omaha." I explained

"Oh. Right." She quickly averted eye contact with me and walked out the door with Ryan in tow.

"What the hell dude? What's your problem?" Abel yelled right as Ryan closed the door.

"What's my problem? She is. She's my problem!" I shouted back pointing my thumb in her direction.

"How do you even know her?" He said slightly calmer than before

"I met her in Omaha."

"Okay. She might've been your problem before, but now she wants nothing to do with you. Can't you see that?" He said

My face went pale and my hands started up again. "I-I -that's not true." I tried to convince myself.

"Then I don't know what to tell you." Abel sighed, walking over to the door, opening it and leaving.

Daniel rose from his chair and clapped a hand on my shoulder. "Sorry man."

I sucked at convincing myself. I knew the second she said my name it was pain on her tongue. I was dumb enough to believe that she'd ever want to come back to me after what I did. She seemed so happy without me. She carried herself so lightly and her smile almost never left her face. All I was doing was reminding her of how and why she left. I cursed under my breath and told myself I'd do all I could to make it up to her. To show her I wasn't that dumbass back in Omaha. I wanted to show her how much I really needed her in my life.
____
Your P.O.V

"Thanks again for the ride home, I appreciate it." I said leaning down to look into the car window at Ryan.

"No problem." He smiled and put the car in gear.

I whistled to myself as I walked up the stairs to my apartment. I unlocked the door and stepped in. The bags of stuff from IKEA were still sitting on the counter, so I pulled out the bed spread and walked into my room to make my bed. It was only about eleven o'clock when I finished, nuzzling myself into the covers and drifting to sleep.
__
My alarm sounded, pulling me out of my dreams. I smacked the top of it and rolled out of bed to get ready for my second day of work. After my usual routine, I stepped out of my apartment and headed off to work.
__

The coffee shop wasn't super busy other than in the morning, when coffee was in high demand. Around noonish- surprise, surprise- Mark walked through the door.
He sat at the counter, his head in his hands until he caught a glimpse of me. He smiled shyly and I internally rolled my eyes before walking over to him.

"Can I get you something?" I stated as seriously as I could.

"I'll take a black coffee please." He replied, searching my eyes for some sort of emotion.

I showed nothing and walked back to make his order. When I turned back, his expression looked sad, his eyes glazed over, staring at the small TV in the corner. Something inside me felt guilty, like I was the cause of his sadness. I finished making his coffee and walked over to give it to him. He already had a five dollar bill laying out in front of him so I took it and set it in the cash register, pulling out his exact change. I came back and set it in front of him, then turned to leave.

"(Y/n) wait." He mumbled

I rotated to face him with a blank expression.

"Can we talk?"

"About what?" I snapped.

It wasn't like me to snap at people, especially people like Mark. Maybe my head was still holding a grudge, but my heart still yearned for a chat, even after what he did.

"I don't mind. About anything." He practically whispered.

I glanced down at his hands which were tightly squeezed around his cup, his thumbs gently moving up and down.

I sighed and decided to give him a chance, to hear what he had to say. He sat and stared blankly at me, probably waiting for me to start the conversation. I couldn't help but snicker. "Oookay... What brings you to Cali?" I asked curiously, my attitude changing in a matter of minutes.

"Want the truth?" He said, locking his gaze with mine.

"Well I don't want a lie."

"You."

Me? He came to California for me?

"What brings you to California?" He continued

"Wanted a change. Something new."

"I thought I remembered you saying something along the lines of that." He sighed

"So how have you been..? And I don't want a lie." I stated hesitantly, glancing at the dark bags under his eyes.

"Erm.. Not great actually."

"Yeah it doesn't seem like it, what's up?" My mind started to relax, like I was talking to an old friend. It was nice.

He sat for a second, wringing his hands a couple times, then pulling them through his hair. He finally made eye contact with me, tears threatening to pour out of his eyes. "I fucked up. Big time."