Chapter 17: Truly, Madly, Deeply

Niall threw himself onto the couch of Becca’s apartment. It had been a few days since they’d gotten together, and he was thankful for the three days they’d had alone in New York. Not that much of anything changed between them. They kissed more. He wasn’t so shy about laying next to her in bed. She seemed so happy, and a bit of pride grew in him every time he realized that smile was for him. He caused her to beam like that. Niall always wondered what it would be like to have someone be in love with him, to return feelings he had for them. Now he knew, and it was the best feeling in the world. 

He closed his eyes and just let it all play behind his eyelids. Everything from the past few days came back to him. From his attempt to make her coffee when they arrived at the apartment to laying next to her in bed as she slept soundly with her head on his chest. It was all there. On their first full day there, they didn’t dare leave the bed. They just lazed around until they got hungry. Niall ordered Chinese for the two of them and popped out quickly when someone had to buzz the delivery guy in. He tiptoed back into Becca’s room to find her spreading a blanket on the floor in front of her TV. The DVD player was already cycling through the menu of The Lorax. She smiled up at him, told him he would love the movie, and motioned him to take a seat. They ended up sleeping on the floor that night. They also ended up waking up to two very full and happy cats, thankful the couple hadn’t put away the leftovers. 

The boy heard her giggle, and his eyes opened. Turning them towards the small hallway, he caught her sliding into the living room. Her hair was bunched up on the top of her head in a messy bun, and she was wearing her glassed. He laughed when he saw her outfit; an “I heart Liam” shirt with a pair of pink shorts and a pair of striped socks that went above her knee. She giggled again before pointing at him. 

“Get off your ass, Horan!” she cackled. 

He’d had the pleasure of seeing her this hyper before. It took five cups of coffee and almost an entire box of cupcakes from a local bakery. Niall thought it was cute how her hyperactivity made her seem more like a kid. She bounced around the room, giggled uncontrollably at anything, and put on an impressive display of a girl having the time of her life. He loved her like that. He loved her any way, but that way was the best. 

Sitting up, he gave her a defiant look. “Why should I? You had be running around the city all day.” 

“Because I need help with the bottles,” she said, quirking an eyebrow. 

“What bottles?” he asked, mimicking her action. 

She padded over to the fridge, opened it, and pulled out a bottle of Jameson. “These bottles.” 

He laughed and stood, going over to her. Inside the fridge were two other bottles. One bottle of Jose Cuervo and one bottle of Jack Daniels sat on the top shelf looking quite chilly. She must have slipped out when he wasn’t watching to get them because they weren’t there the night before. He would have noticed. Reaching past her, he grabbed the other two bottles. “Planning a party.”

“For two,” she grinned, wrapping her arms around his neck. 

Laughing again, he pecked her lips. “For two, eh? Even if one of the two is underage?”

“I’ll admit it’s not a good idea, and I’ll probably be hanged at dawn.” She unwrapped her arms and turned to the cabinet pulling all of the shot glasses from it. “But you’ve got to learn the hard way sometimes. Now. Chaser for the tequila or no?” 

Niall looked at her. “Do you do lime and salt?”

She shook her head. “Chasers are for pussies.” 

“Then no chaser,” he grinned. 

“You’re going to regret that decision, Horan,” she smiled back at him.