Chapter 10: One More

“Hey, Becca!” Bree called from the kitchen.

Becca looked up from her empty suitcase. “Yeah?” she called back.

“Who is Jacob?” Bree asked, walking into the room and leaning against the doorframe. “And why does he keep texting you?”

The redhead crossed the room quickly to take her phone from Bree. “He’s nobody to worry about anymore.”

“But who is he?” Bree asked again.

“Like I said, he’s no one.” Becca shoved her phone into her pocket. She turned back to her suitcase. “Since you’re here, help me pack for our trip to London.”

The boys had invited the girls to spend the rest of the summer with them in London. Of course the girls accepted the invitation, and they were leaving in a few days. Bree was obviously happy to get some time with Harry. They hadn’t really spent more than a week together since their relationship started. When Harry asked her, Becca had to run into Bree’s room to make sure someone hadn’t broken into the apartment. No one had. Bree was just screaming at the top of her lungs because she was so happy. Harry also extended the invitation to Becca from the rest of the boys, though Becca liked to think it was mostly Niall’s idea. She knew a lot better than that.

He had started talking about Demi a lot more. At first it was just little things about her, nothing great. Just funny things she’d said that Becca might find funny. Now it was more about their conversations and how she made Niall feel. Becca hated to admit it, but Niall’s little crush on Demi was growing. It was growing by a lot. Soon she would be all he could think or talk about. Another thing Becca hated to admit was she was jealous of Demi. Niall was absolutely enthralled with the songstress. Becca was the plain-Jane sort so in a grudge match between her and Demi, Demi was going to win no matter what. It wasn’t fair really, but that’s how life went. There was always someone better than Becca waiting just around the corner. Or, in Demi’s case, just waiting. The only thing negative Niall seemed to tell her about Demi was how she seemed interested one minute but didn’t the next. It confused Niall. It saddened Niall it seemed. It made Becca angry. She cared for Niall deeply enough that she wouldn’t think about dicking him around. Apparently, Demi liked the game more than anything.

Grabbing a few pairs of jeans from the closet, she went back to the suitcase and took them off the hangers. She folded them into the suitcase. Becca didn’t really want to think about Niall with Demi. She could barely think about herself with Niall so him with someone else was hard to imagine. While they packed, Bree kept trying to glance at Becca’s phone when she took it out of her pocket. There was nothing to see however. Just a few texts from her family and a couple from Niall. Jacob hadn’t texted back, thank goodness. Then it came. That one text from Jacob that Bree saw.

“Okay. I have to ask again. Who is Jacob?” Bree asked.

Becca sighed. “My ex, okay? It’s the ex.”

“What?!” Bree practically shrieked.

“He approached me at Starbucks back in February. He wanted me to hear him out so I did. Jacob wants to be friends, and I don’t think we can be so I told him to leave me alone. He’s just not taking the hint,” Becca explained.

Bree set down the shirt she was holding. “Do I need to worry about this?”

Becca shook her head. “No. He’ll get it eventually…I hope.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Bree asked.

“Because then I would have to get into what happened, and I’m not sure if I can recount everything. I also knew you’d talk me out of even hearing him out,” Becca sighed, sitting on the bed.