Chapter 2: Getting To Know You

Becca nudged Bree with her foot. “Call him,” she demanded, holding out the younger girl’s phone. “Do it. Come on. Call Harry.”

The blonde girl shook her head. “He...he didn’t mean it. He just wanted...he didn’t mean for me to actually call him.”

Becca grabbed the CD case, typed the phone number in, and pressed send. “There. Calling him. Either talk to him or I will.”

Bree’s eyes bugged out before she grabbed the phone. Tentatively, she put the phone to her ear and shot a glare Becca’s way. Harry must have answered because the blonde girl got up and went into her room. Becca shook her head, picking up a magazine. Her phone pinged in her pocket. Digging it out, she saw it was from Twitter. She opened the app to see a direct message from Niall. Since they met, the two had been messaging back and forth. Just chit chat, nothing too groundbreaking. Still, they were talking and hadn’t stopped except for his obligations and sleep. At this moment, Niall had sent her a joke. 

She giggled, texting back: “Nice try, Niall. Heard that one last week.”

Picking up the magazine again, she found a mundane article to read about what a person’s cuticles might say about them. She examined her nails, realizing the verdict might be bad, but she continued reading. A loud squeal cam from Bree’s room. Becca gave up the article, and she ran into Bree’s room. The blonde girl danced around the room, her phone laying on the bed. When she saw Becca, she grabbed the older girl, and they started dancing around together. Becca stopped. “Why are we dancing?”

“Harry’s taking me to dinner tonight!” she squealed. 

Becca hugged the girl tightly. “What are you going to wear?!”

“Definitely a coat,” Bree giggled. “And a dress maybe?” She picked her phone back up and settled on her bed. “He might be messaging you later.”

“For pointers? The ‘if you hurt my little girl, I will gouge your eyes out’ speech?” Becca laughed. 

Bree nudged her. “Be nice to him. I know my parents asked you to look out for me, but please don’t...”

Becca sat next to Bree. “I’m not going to scare him, Brenna.” Her phone pinged in her pocket again. She took it out and smiled when she saw it was Twitter again. 

An eyebrow raised on Bree’s face. “Harry?” Becca shook her head. “Niall?” Becca nodded, and Bree squealed again. “He likes you!”

Becca shook her head. “No. He’ll forget me in a week.”

Bree swatted Becca. “That is not true! Harry said so.”

“Brenna, you barely talked to him on the phone.” 

“But Liam also said. Did he not make some big prediction about the four of us?”

Becca sighed, rolling her eyes before thinking back. The boy that she and Bree called their neutral crush ground had made a prediction about Harry, Niall, Bree, and Becca. He said, “I’m making a prediction right now. Before we leave, she’s all we’ll hear about. You too. Niall wasn’t asking for your Twitter to ‘touch base.’ I bet he’ll direct message you at least ten times before the end of the day.” So far, Liam had been half right for all Becca knew. Niall had messaged her more than ten times. Fifty times actually. She couldn’t really vouch for the Harry bit. 

Bree tilted her head to the side. “Then look for friendship with Niall.” She took her phone and waved her hand for Becca to leave the room. “Now shoo. I have a play date to set up while I also get ready for my own date.” 

**********************************************

Niall sat on the bed. His phone sat in his lap. His foot bounced nervously while he waited for his phone to sound off again. Becca had been massaging him back and forth since they had met basically. Niall wished he wasn’t so anxious for her next message, but he really couldn’t help it. Something drew him to her. He still couldn’t figure it out. He wracked his brain for an answer, but he just couldn’t put his finger on it exactly. What he had found was she was funny. Amazing too. He definitely knew hot to pick ‘em...not that anything would come from his newfound friendship. Were they friends? He’d like to think so, but he really couldn’t be safe.