Chapter 5

That night I didn't get much sleep at all. When I tried to go to sleep, all I could think about was Shan and her baby. I called Darryl after she left and told him briefly what happened and he told me he'll come over in the morning. I was looking forward to it.

I tried to call Jay first but he didn't pick up so Darryl was my second choice. This would be the first time that Darryl would be over my house or see me since we ran into each other at the supermarket. Don't get it wrong, I just needed someone to talk to and I knew Darryl would be a good support system, he always was.

I got up from my king size bed and dragged myself to the shower. I stayed in for a hour just starring at the blue mosaic tile letting the hot water run all over my body. After I got out, I put my hair into a ponytail, threw on some Levi blue jean, ripped shorts and a white buttoned up shirt that I tied up in the front and white Michael Kors sandals. I put a little mascara on my lashes so I wouldn't look so stressed around Darryl.

I started to head downstairs into the kitchen to make some coffee. I could really use a cup or two. While the coffee brewed, I went to let McCoy inside.

"McCoy!", I made kissing noises and he ran right over. I picked him up and kissed his head and scratched his back. He started to bark from happiness. By the time I finished giving him a bath and feeding him, my coffee was ready and hot. I fixed it the way I liked and began drinking when Darryl called and told me he was down the street from my house. I chugged my coffee and ran to my bathroom downstairs to brush my teeth really quickly. I looked in the mirror to make sure I looked okay when the doorbell rung. I walked over to the door, put my hand on the handle and took a deep breath before I opened it.

The scent of Calvin Klein filled the air. There he was... My first love. Sexier than ever. He smiled at me and reached out to give me a hug, I leaned in to give him one back and he pulled me in close and I held on tight. "Hey Candice. You look beautiful.", he buried his face into my neck.

I exhaled and melted into his grasp. "So do you.", I took in his scent and rubbed his muscular, broad back. His silky black shirt shifting with every motion. He felt so good. I invited him inside and offered him a cup of coffee.

We walked inside passed the living room into the kitchen passing the foyer and pictures of myself, my parents and siblings.I caught him looking around in amazement. "Damn Candice, this is a nice place. I see you're doing welll for yourself.", he said taking a seat at the granite countertop bar in the kitchen.

"Thank you and I am, I guess. Working at Donald and Hansen firm pays well.", I said reaching into the cabinet for a coffee mug. "How do you like your coffee?", looking over my shoulder to find Darryl staring at me.

"You know how I like my coffee.", he said winking at me.

Yea I do remember how he liked his coffee from the mornings I'd wake up before him to make him breakfast in bed. He loved his coffee sweet. More sugar than creamer. I fixed it and walked over to the bar and passed him the cup. I watched as his brown, soft lips touched the edge of the mug. Why was this man so damn fine. I swear it was always something about Darryl that made my body quiver.

He caught me staring at him. "I see you do remember.", he said touching my hand. I couldn't respond because his eyes caught me in a trance and the next thing I know, I felt his his lips touch mine. He taste of coffee but I didn't mind. He pulled me in closer and I wrapped my arms around his neck. Darryl always had my heart and him just being here now was the reason why. I pulled away from our kiss trying to catch me breath. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.", he said touching my chin and still holding the small of my back.

"It's okay.", I said smiling motioning him to come over to living room. We sat down on the couch. As he reached over to put his coffee cup on the table he pointed to the brown stain on my beige carpet.