Chapter 3

I woke up the next morning around 4 a.m. on a Saturday. I had a bad dream about Shan. I started thinking to myself that I should tell her. I knew the longer I wait the worse it'll be when I told her. I was about to pick up the phone and call her but I knew she was sleep. So I decided to take some ZzQuil so I could go back to bed.

Around 10:00 a.m. I woke up, showered, put my hair in a high ponytail, threw on some jeans, a plain white tee and some royal blue pumps with a matching Coach purse. I poured McCoy some dog food in his bowl and set it outside before I left. I set my alarm and headed out the door.

There was nothing to eat in the house and I needed to go grocery shopping. I stopped at Publix to pick up a few things. I got some cereal,milk,eggs,chicken breasts, a few bags of vegetables and salad. I was about to checkout when I forgot about my fruits. I headed down to where the apples were & started to pick out a few.

"Candice? Is that you?", I heard a familiar voice say. I dropped the apple and turned around.

"Darryl? Hey how are you?", shocked to see him. He reached out to give me a hug which I really didn't know how to react to. I hugged him back and I could feel his grasp getting tighter around my waist. I must admit it felt so good being his arms just one more time. And he smelled so good. He always smelled of Calvin Klein cologne that I brought once for him back when we were together and he was hooked since then. Then I got upset thinking another hoe was enjoying the same cologne and released myself from his hug.

He gave me a confused look and said with a deep baritone voice, "Wow you look reeeeaaallly good." As if it was a surprise. I always kept myself up especially when we were together but I guess the tricks that he was dating wasn't no comparison to me. I laughed to myself a little.

I played with my ponytail and looked him up and down. "You don't look so bad yourself D." I smiled at him. And I wasn't lying he did look good. He had on a yellow polo, a gold chain with black jeans and brown Tim's. Yellow was always my favorite color on Darryl. It just made his coffee colored skin look so mouth watering.

"I seen you last night at the club. You looked very beautiful in your dress." He gave me a wink.

"Thanks." , I blushed a little. Knowing that I did.

"Why you tried to act like you ain't see a brother though?" He chuckled holding his chin.

"What you mean?" I didn't see you last night." Looking down at the floor and smiling inside cause I know I did.

"Well anyways, you have the same number?" He asked checking his phone. I nodded turning around to get the rest of the apples. "Alright.", he said nodding his head. "Well I'll see you later." Reaching out to give me one last hug. I reached out one arm to hug him back. He turned around to walk away and I just watched him as he did.

I drove in silence, quiet and confused. That's the most I've ever run into Darryl and why now? was it fate? I still did love him. I could tell by the way my heart dropped when I heard his voice and how fast it was beating when caressed his muscular back as we hugged. When he asked about my number I thought well damn is he trying to start something up again? Was I ready to give him a second chance? What about Jay? I texted Shan and told her to come over after she gets out of class. I was about to put the phone down when it rang. It was an unfamiliar number but I answered anyways thinking that it could one of my clients or something.

"Hello, Candice speaking.", I said stopping at a red light. I was about two blocks away from home.

"Hey Candice. It's Jaylen from last night." He said his voice sounding so good on the phone. "I'm sorry for calling kind of early. I just couldn't get you out of my mind." I blushed a little.