Chapter 17: Sunday Meetings

William, Michael and the kids all went to church and when they came back to the house, William told them all that they were not allowed to come into the kitchen.

Mi: You know that I was only joking yesterday when I said that you had to do this on your own right, I don't mind helping.

W: No, it's fine. I want to do this on my own.

Mi: Are you sure?

W: Yes, I am. You can go help the boys with their homework because they were too excited to do it on Friday.

Mi: Okay but call if you need help. (He said giving William a kiss)

W: I will.

William took off his suit jacket and started prepping the whole chicken that he had taken out the previous night. He stuffed the chicken with all sorts of things such as lemon wedges, thyme, basted it in butter and other ingredients. He put the chicken into the pan and put potatoes, onions and other veggies around it before putting it into the oven and setting it. Then he started cooking the side dish, rice. When the rice was well on its way he checked on the chicken before starting dessert. He was going to be making peppermint tart. He decided on making it because it was an easy dessert to make and it did not take too long to set. He smashed the tennis biscuits and put it at the bottom of the dish. Then he mixed the caramel treat and condensed milk before adding the grated peppermint crisp chocolate and pouring it into the dish before putting it in the fridge. He checked the chicken, added water to the rice and started making a sauce to go with the dish. He finished everything just before one o'clock.

Mi: It looks like you're done so what can I help with?

W: Can you set the table for me please?

Mi: Everything smells great I can't wait to taste it all.

W: You will very soon, your mother said that they'd be here by one.

Mi: Okay, let me go set the table.

Just then there was a knock on the door.

J: We'll get it! (He shouted as they came downstairs to open the door) Grandma!

Ca: Hi boys, can we come in?

C: Sure.

M: Come in. (He said and the three of them moved away from the door)

O: It smells really good in here.

M: My daddy cooked.

S: Did he now? (He asked picking Mathew up)

M: Mm-hm. He cooks nice food, you'll see.

Ca: Isn't he just a sweetheart. (She said following Sean and Mathew into the house)

Mi: Yes he is, afternoon mother.

Ca: Good afternoon, Michael, you too William. (She smiled as he entered the living room)

W: Good afternoon, Caroline. Hi guys, you can sit down, Michael and I will bring the food out.

O: Okay.

Michael and William brought in the food and put it on the table before sitting down next to each other. Caroline said grace and they all dug in.

C: Dad, this is amazing! (He said with bulging eyes)

W: Thanks buddy, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Mi: We all are this is really good.

William smiled at Michael before going back to his food. They started talking about work, the boys' school and more.

Ca: So William, what is it that you do that makes it possible to live in such a beautiful house?

W: I'm the CEO at one of the top investment companies.

Mi: His own investment company.

Ca: You own it?

W: Yes, I started it seven years ago and it's been growing ever since.

Ca: Wow, so is their mother still in the picture?

O & Mi: Mom!

Ca: What?

W: No, it's okay. She passed away a couple of years ago.

M: When I was born.

Ca: Oh, I'm sorry about that and forgive me for prying.

W: No need for apologies, you didn't know and I'm finally happy again so it doesn't bother me as much anymore. (He said turning and looking at Michael)

J: Here comes the starring.

Mi: Oh shut up. (He says turning back to his food after giving William's hand a squeeze)

HaHaHaHaHa

The conversations continued all throughout lunch and everyone was enjoying themselves. After dessert William stood up to do the dishes but Michael forced him down.

Mi: You did all the cooking on your own so we'll do the washing up.

W: It's not necessary.

Mi: Yes it is.

W: But you guys don't know where everything goes.

Mi: I've spent enough time here to know where everything goes and the boys too.

Ca: Stop arguing and accept the help, William.

W: Okay fine.

Mi: Good.

...

Ca: So, you're dating my son now? (She asked after everyone else went into the kitchen)

W: Yes.

Ca: Tell me about that.

W: I don't know what you want to hear but Michael is the first person I've even thought about dating since my wife passed away. He's the first guy I've ever had feelings for and as I said earlier being around him makes me happy. And as a bonus Mathew and Connor love him just as much as he loves them and I love Jake as if he were mine. They're my family.

Ca: That's wonderful dear and for what it's worth, you have my complete blessing to be with my son because I see how happy you make him too. He was devastated after the divorce but now I've got my old, happy Michael back.

W: Thank you very much Caroline, you have no idea how much your blessing means.

Ca: Just don't hurt him, William.

W: I'll try my absolute best.

Ca: And that's all a mother needs to hear.

The 'family' spent the rest of the after enjoying themselves before demeaning that it was time to go. Sean, Olivia and Caroline left after thanking William for the amazing meal again.

Mi: Jake, you should go get your things ready because we need to leave now too.

J: Really dad?

Mi: Sorry bud but it's school tomorrow.

J: But I don't want to leave.

Mi: I know but we have to.

J: Okay. (He said with a big sigh)

C : We'll help you.

J: Thanks. (He said and the three of them went upstairs)

...

W: I think we need to talk about this whole separate homes thing.

Mi: I agree.

W: Your mother gave me her blessing to be with you.

Mi: I didn't know you needed it.

W: I didn't but it felt real good to get it.

Mi: Well that's good. (He said pulling William in for a kiss) I need to go get my things ready too.

W: I'll go help you.

The group said their good nights to each other with great difficulty that night.