Chapter 14: My Support

They starred at each other, having a silent conversation with their eyes. After coming to an agreement they leaned in towards each other.

... but just before their lips touched William's phone rang.

W: Sorry. (He said pulling away and taking his phone out) It's Olivia.

Mi: Answer it.

W: Olivia, hi? Wait, calm down... what happened? ... What, uh where are you? ... We're on our way. Uh, we'll be there now.

...

Mi: What's wrong? (He asked when he saw how pale William became)

W: Uh, Mathew. He... he fell down the stairs and they took him to Mercy Hospital. We... we need to go. Hurry up and get in.

Mi: There is no way that I'm going to let you drive in this state, give me the keys.

W: No I'm driving, he's my son.

Mi: What good will it do him if you end up in the hospital because of a car accident?

W: Yes, you're right.

Mi: I know now give me the keys and get in.

W: Thanks.

Mi: Always.

Mercy Hospital wasn't that far from the restaurant and they got there within fifteen minutes. Both of them ran over to the nurse's station.

W: Hi, my son was brought in here half an hour ago.

Nurse: What's his name, sir?

W: Mathew McVey.

Nurse: Okay... here it is. The doctor is still in with him but I can show you where the others are waiting.

W: Thanks.

They were taken to the waiting area where they saw Olivia, Sean, Connor and Jake.

C: Dad!

Nurse: Keep it down, son. The doctor will be out shortly)

W: Thank you. (He said as she walked back to the nurse's station)

O: I'm so sorry, William.

W: It's okay, I'm not mad, it's not your fault.

O: I was suppose to be watching him.

Mi: it was an accident, 'Liv.

W: What happened?

S: He was running in the hall, then he must have slipped on the rug or something and then he fell down the stairs.

W: I always tell them not to run up there but they don't listen. Olivia, this was definitely not your fault, it's not anyone's.

O: I know but I just feel guilty.

W: Don't worry about it.

Just then the doctor came out of the room.

Dr: Are you Mathew McVey's father?

W: Yes I am how is he?

Dr: We could talk in private if you would prefer. (He said looking at everyone around William)

W: No, they're family. Whatever you say to me, you can say to them.

Dr: Okay, we ran a brain scan and everything looks fine at this point but we'd like to do another one tomorrow just to be sure. He has a concussion and we gave him a sedative so that he can sleep. If there is any damage we'll know only we he wakes up, so you guys can go home...