Chapter Eleven

Beginne am Anfang

“Jasper, you have to go hunting, she won’t be up for awhile.”

I heard someone, I assume it was Jasper, reluctantly get up and leave. From then on I was up, but I didn’t let anyone know yet. I was still biting my tongue so I wouldn’t scream. I could taste the iron taste of blood that was filling my mouth. I counted how many times people walked in and out of the room, to keep myself distracted from the burning pain throughout my body.

I heard someone come in, the pain was now concentrated in my chest. I hissed loudly and squeezed my eyes tighter, not able to keep it in any longer. The pain was unbearable.

“Try not to fight it Brighton,” Carlisle said, “it’s the last part of the process, it’ll be over soon.”

I tried to bear the pain but I felt like I was suffocating. My heart struggling to keep going. I was thirsty, I wanted water to extinguish the thirst and the burn. Then it stopped, as if it never happened. I kept my eyes close a little while longer, while hearing footsteps come up the stairs.

“Is it over?” I heard Alice’s high little musical voice ask, “I can’t hear a heart beat. She‘s so clear now.”

I listened to all the sounds, the TV on downstairs and in the neighbor‘s house, something moving in the woods behind the house, cars going up and down the road. I slowly opened my eyes. What I saw I wasn’t prepared for.

Everything was amazing. Crystal clear, sharp and defined. I looked at Alice’s face, she practically sparkled. I inhaled and could smell everything, the ageing wood, the smell of flowers drifting in the room. I went to go sit up, but found myself up less than a second later. I practically thought things and could do them. If I wanted to go to the other side of the room, I was already there. Alice smiled, her teeth shone, almost blinding. I heard footsteps quietly come up the stairs, I saw Esme and Rosalie peek in, they smiled too. They were all so beautiful, more beautiful than I could ever imagine.

“Hello.” I said, then I grasped my throat, eyes wide. That wasn’t my voice.

They all looked at me concerned.

“I don’t sound like me.” I said, and I watched their tense bodies relax.

I touched my hair, expecting it to be caked with blood, but it wasn’t.

“Alice figured you’d want to be clean when you woke up.” Carlisle said.

I smiled at Alice, “Thank you.”

“Jasper isn’t going to be happy.” Alice said.

“Why? What’s wrong?” I suddenly asked worried.

“Nothing, nothing, don’t worry. He just wanted to be here, he’s hardly left your side.” she said. I smiled at the thought.

“You woke up earlier than expected.” Carlisle explained. I nodded.

“I’m sorry,” I said, “but my throat is very dry.”

“Understandable. You’re thirsty. Alice and Rosalie will take you out to hunt, since Jasper isn’t here. You better do it now, since Bella is coming over later, we want don’t want you thirsty then.” Carlisle told me.

“Wait,” Alice said, “Follow me.”

I followed her into the bathroom and looked at her, she nodded towards the mirror. I looked. This wasn’t me. This person was absolutely stunning. The blonde hair seemed to cascade down onto her shoulders, and her eyes were red, not green, like mine should be. I poked the glass, then dashed quickly to the side, causing Alice to giggle. The lady in the mirror well… mirrored my actions.