Epilogue

I rested my head in my hands while leaning onto the bridge railing. The day was overcast, no signs of the sun peeling through the thick, low, grey clouds. I watched the barges float lazily in the murky, brown, river water below me. Around me, large tourist groups stood, taking pictures, while speaking in foreign languages. I knew where they would go next, this was only one stop on their massive tour. Next, they would go to the Eye, I saw the large Japanese group I saw earlier, already there, marvelling at the futuristic ferris wheel, spinning slowly. This seemed to be everyone’s reaction. From there they would go to the large clock tower that loomed over the river.

My hair blew into my face, I pushed it out of my way. I was waiting, they were late. I often came here to think, despite the large crowds, it was actually quite peaceful. It had been ten years since the Volturi stand off. Things had been relatively quiet. No one had heard from them since them, but we all knew they were plotting.

Not long after, I was engaged. I smiled at the memory. Jasper and I had been hunting together, we were running, me lost in my thoughts about how sexy Jasper had looked, while crouching, watching his prey, strategizing on how he should go about killing it. We stopped at the river bank, so we could get ready to jump. I watched the water move swiftly, I looked to Jasper to find him staring at me.

“What?” I asked, smiling.

He smiled and walked to me, “Brighton… I have a question for you.”

I looked at him, confused, “Okay…”

He started again, “Brighton, I ask you to pass through life at my side… to be my second self, and best earthly companion… marry me?” 

Oh, he was good. He remembered the Jane Eyre quote I liked so much.

“Yes.” I breathed, so much excitement and joy that had been building up, came out in my huge smile. He sighed in relief, and smiled, then started looking for something in his pocket. He pulled out a ring, it was beautiful. It was a simple ring with a gold band, and one medium diamond with two small diamonds sitting on it. I clapped my hands, still wearing a huge smile.

“It’s not new or anything,” he started, “but Alice and I saw it in an antique shop a few monthes ago and we’re told it was from either the 40s or 50s, and I know how much you love that era.”

“It’s beautiful!” I exclaimed. He grabbed my left hand and slowly slid it onto my ring finger. He let go of my hand, and I held it out in front of me, to admire the ring some more. Jasper was grinning like an idiot.

I raised an eyebrow, “Like what you see?”

“You know damn well I do!” he growled. I giggled, as he turned me to face him, and gave me a mind blowing kiss. I couldn’t help but smile into the kiss, I was so happy.

We broke apart, “C’mon Alice is probably bouncing off the walls by now.” he said.

“When isn’t she?” I asked, wrinkling my face.

“True.”

We jumped over the river, and raced to the door. Before we got to the front door, it was flung open and I was attacked by an ecstatic Alice.

“It’s about time!” she yelled, “I’ve been waiting forever!”

“I highly doubt that, Alice.” I smiled to her. I was met with the same enthusiasm by Esme, Bella, and of course, Emmett, who was shouting to Jasper, “It’s about time! It took you long enough! Now she canofficially be part of the family!” 

Carlisle, Edward, and Rosalie were more reserved in their joy, but all were smiling, laughing, and hugging Jasper and I.

I looked down at the ring that hasn’t left my finger since, now accompanied by another thin gold band. A lady asked for directions, I pointed her where she needed to go, before going back to my thoughts. 

The wedding wasn’t too much longer after the proposal, thanks to Alice, who is a great planner, but still impatient. I refused to let Alice have full reign, after all it was my wedding. Unlike Edward and Bella’s wedding, where the whole wedding was centered around Edward, mine wasn’t centered around Jasper, even though I wanted it to be, but some of those Civil War style wedding dresses. Ew. I still shudder at some of them. 

I wanted a sunny day, but sadly couldn’t have it. My wedding day was overcast, but it wasn’t as bad as I’d thought it’d be. The venue was absolutely wonderful. I had remembered seeing the little church when I was little and always have loved it.

We did get married in a church and we weren’t struck down by lighting or anything, so we must have been doing something right. Anyways, the little white Southern church sat amongst large oak trees, limbs covered with dangling, green, Spanish moss. Tombstones were scattered in the little cemetery near by, some dating back before the Revolutionary War. It was perfect, it had this old world feel.

Alice and I went through numerous dresses, jetting practically all over the world to different bridal shops, before I found the right one. It was white, of course, strapless, with a full skirt and a slight train. I felt like a princess.

Alice helped me out of the limo. My Bugatti had gone missing this morning, thanks to Emmett and Edward. I took in all the smells, forcing myself to remember everything. The air smelled sweet from the flowers growing near by and the breeze brought the salty smell of the ocean to my nose. It was surprisingly not humid for Georgia at this time of year, which I think my guests appreciated. Bella, Rosalie, and Alice looked stunning in their black dresses. I know black isn’t technically supposed to be in weddings, but I saw them and couldn’t resist. The dresses were strapless, with a full skirt too, and contrasted greatly with their pale skin, but it gave them an old world look, as if we were in France during the French Revolution.

I was nervous, my whole mother’s side of the family was here, which was good because they filled up the slightly, empty groom side, but I silently prayed that none of them would cut themselves. I waited at the side, waiting for Nessie, Alice, Bella, and Rosalie to go through. Carlisle by my side, since my Dad wouldn’t come. 

Canon in D struck up, my wedding march. Carlisle and I linked arms, and moved towards the aisle, “Thank you.” I whispered.

He patted my hand, “Anytime.” We slowly moved forward, I looked up to see Jasper smiling, my face broke out into one as well. All I could see was him. His hair slightly unkempt as usual, but he never looked so handsome. I was careful to keep my pace with Carlisle, not wanting to go too fast, or too slow. Jasper’s beauty was breathtaking. My human relatives should declare themselves legally blind. He was absolutely… dazzling. Completely flawless.

As we reached the alter, Carlisle gave Jasper my hand, and patted him on the back before going to go sit in the front pew, next to Esme, putting his arm around her. It was a standard wedding ceremony, both of us repeating after the priest. When the “I do.” part came up, it took a lot of self restraint to not jump around, and squeal in joy.

“Do you, Brighton Montgomery take Jasper Hale to be your lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health, together, as long as you both shall live?”

“I do.”

“Do you, Jasper Hale, take Brighton Montgomery, to be your lawfully wedded wife, through sickness and in health, together, as long as you both shall live.”

“I do.”

“Congratulations, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

The kiss was short, but full of so much emotion. Jasper and I turned to the crowd, I was first met by my mother, tears freely falling down her face. She grabbed me and started hugging me. I still held onto Jasper’s hand. We were to the reception, and the DJ announced, “May I present Mr. and Mrs. Hale!” I smiled, loving the new name. I did want to be Mrs. Jasper Whitlock, but we both didn’t really want to go through explaining the name change. Although, Mrs. Jasper Hale, doesn’t sound too bad. Brighton Hale, sounds lovely, doesn’t it?

The reception was hilarious. Emmett was a huge hit with my family, they loved him. Jasper was extremely devilish taking off my garter. His mischievous smile lit up his face. He slowly moved his hand up my leg, making my leg tingle from his touch. I laughed along with everyone else, but I was so embarrassed. Thank God, I can’t blush.

Alice grabbed me and forced me into another pair of clothes… at least she was being sensible with jeans. As we were ushered out to my car I groaned. MY CAR! Edward and Emmett put possibly every tacky thing they could on it, plus some rather rude words. Jasper got in the driver’s seat and I the passenger, I stuck my head out the window and waved, while Jasper stuck out his hand. I turned back to face the front, while smiling. I didn’t think I could ever be so happy, I was getting ready to burst.

Our honeymoon was in Paris, Jasper had found out through Edward. I must have been thinking about it one day. My French wasn’t as good as I thought, Jasper surprised me by speaking it fluently. He told me he learned it with Alice, when she started looking for her French vampire. 

Speaking of him, Alice did end up tracking him down, but they were not suited for each other at all. He didn’t like Alice’s flamboyant nature, and she thought him too dull, but his friend, Etienne, and Alice hit it off. I personally liked Etienne more. He was tall, and had black, slightly curly, hair, and of course, ze French accent. He was more outgoing, and funny, but not overly loud. He complemented Alice perfectly. Crazy and patient enough to deal with her personality. They married a few years after Jasper and I. Her wedding was absolutely massive.

“Aunt Brighton!” I turned around and smiled. Does this scene sound familiar to you? It should, Alice predicted it when I first went to her house. Nessie was accompanied by a very handsome, tall, blonde man. I mocked glared at her, “You know you don’t say that in public! People will think we’re crazy!”

I turned to Jasper and kissed him hello. “How was your day?”

“It was all right, Nessie almost got lost on the tube again.” Jasper shrugged. I looked to Nessie, she was no longer a little girl, she had already grown to beautiful. She still had her mother’s eyes and Edward’s hair, and got a lot of stares, but her eyes were only for Jacob. It was amusing to go out into public with Nessie, Bella, and Edward, and Nessie would call them “Mom” and “Dad.” The looks they would get were hilarious and would cause Emmett and I to burst out into peals of laughter.

The Cullen family had to move from their home in Forks, it was quite sad, so many memories were there. For once Carlisle and Esme have the house to themselves. All the Cullen children decided to go their own ways for awhile, well not really, we still visited… a lot.

Jasper and I had decided to move to London. It does rain a lot, and it’s big so we can be inconspicuous, also, now I am Brighton Whitlock.

“Everyone said they would meet us at our house later.” Jasper told me. We lived out in the countryside, not too far from London… we own a deer farm. 

“Mom and Dad are coming? Are they bringing Jacob?” asked Renesmee.

“Dunno… we’ll find out later. I’ve been waiting forever and I need to get a new wardrobe before Alice kills me for wearing sweatpants.” I said.

We went into several shops, buying a whole new wardrobe is not easy, what makes it harder is when shop ladies go to Jasper to say his girlfriend is pretty, and they’re talking about Renesmee. Jasper kindly says, “Thank you, but she’s not my girlfriend, my wife is over there.”

Do you know what they have the nerve to say?

“Oh dear, you would do a lot better with the other one.” All the clothes in my hand drop, and Jasper’s deep laugh can be heard throughout the store. I quickly leave. 

When we get home, we find the whole Cullen clan waiting. Renesmee runs to Bella and Edward yelling, “Mom! Dad!” I smile, sometimes I wish that Jasper and I had a child together, so we could have something in the likeness of us.

I’m met first by Alice, “I know you have clothes in the trunk of the car! Sweatpants? Brighton, how could you?” I laughed and turned to Etienne, “How do you stand this?”

“I don’t know, I think you bring out the worst in her.” he said, while laughing, putting his arm around his wife.

I felt someone grab me from behind and swing me around. “Emmett!” I screamed, “Put me down!” I got what I wanted, but not exactly how I wanted it. I landed with a bug thud as I hit the ground.

“I’m so sorry, Brighton,” apologized Rosalie, “but all he’s been talking about the past few days is how he gets to see his two favorite ex-human sister-in-laws. When I pointed out that you were the only two sister-in-laws that he had, he didn’t seem phased by it.”

I laughed, then hugged a slightly tired, if possible Rosalie. No wonder, Emmett is a handful sometimes. After Rosalie I was captured in a huge hug. “Brighton, how do you survive? No bears! Where’s the risk? The fun?”

“I get by Emmett. Nice to see you too by the way.” I said, hugging him back. An excited Bella hugged me next, “Thank you for taking good care of my baby!”

“You’re welcome. Although she is clearly your child, her sense of direction is way off. Ask Jasper.” I said, laughing at her.

Edward laughed. “Edward…” I said, moving towards him.

“Brighton, how are you?”

“Good, as you can see.”

“That’s good. Jasper’s mind won’t shut up about you. You would think after all this time.”

“Do you stop thinking about Bella?”

No answer.

“That’s what I thought.”

I turned to an elegant Carlisle and Esme, I hugged both tightly, happy to see them. “Shall we go inside?” I gestured to the front door, playing hostess. Jasper slid his arm around my waist, and kissed my cheek. I smiled, then looked to the people surrounding me, all smiling and happy. My family. This is where I belonged, next to Jasper, amongst the Cullens, my family

It was safe to say, I was completely, utterly, happy.