The Ramblings of Brighton Montgomery [A Jasper Hale Love Story]

“Mom, are you sure you’re OK to do this, I don’t have to go.” “No, no, honey you have to, this will be good for you.” How? I thought. Truthfully though, I am terrified. It’s always been me and my mom, and the thought of leaving her alone to fend for herself is scary.

I break away from my mom, and go towards security, where then I board the plane. I will spare you the boredom that is the Denver and Seattle airports; it mainly consisted of me, running around, asking people where to go, and managing to find my gate, just as they’re calling my name.

Now, I’m on a small, scary plane to Port Angeles, trying to tell myself to be positive. It was only a year, I could go home if I wanted to, it was a good way to get to know my Dad, any positive thing I could think of, I let sink into my thoughts but, it wasn’t really working.

Landing in Port Angeles, I was a nervous wreck. Getting off the plane, I followed people who I assumed were going the right way, then again it could be the blind leading the blind. I came out into the waiting area and started scanning the little group of people that were there.

Then I saw my Dad. It was unmistakable, I look exactly like him. He came over to give me a hug. Don’t worry I returned it, I’m not mean. I met his wife, Janet. She had blonde hair as well, and at first glance we looked like one big happy family, we all looked so much alike. I look more like her then I did my own mother, which was scary. I could tell though, she didn’t really want me there, but was trying to be nice. 

My Dad continued on, “Janet is so glad to finally meet you! Aren’t you Janet? She’s even planned this fantastic meal! Haven’t you Janet? You’ll love Janet’s cooking!” Good Lord, I thought, how does she ever get a word in. “This is your younger brother Chris, say hello Chris.” It was never ending.

Going to the car was a treat. I was told to go to the car, “it’s a black SUV,” while they found my other bag. Do you know how many black SUVs were in the parking lot? I do, I counted 12. So I stood there until they came out.

“Which one?” I asked. “Which one what?” said my Dad. Honestly. “Which black SUV?” “Oh, haha, silly me.” he said. Oh yes, haha, silly you. Never mind I was looking like an idiot. So we went to a black SUV, Ford Explorer by the way, with a bumper sticker that said “If you can read this, I’ve lost the boat!!” For future reference.

The drive was uneventful, Dad talked for the majority of it. He told me about the town, school, and I wouldn’t be the only new one there, some guy named Swan had a daughter starting as well. I smiled and said “That’s nice” and looked back out the window at the blurry green scenery we were passing.

We arrived home at about dinner time, the sun was just starting to set, causing purple and pink streaks to appear in the sky. Janet hurried out of the car to start dinner, while Dad and I lugged my suitcases up to the 3rd floor where I was staying. I looked at my room, the walls were a minty green color and sparse, and a full size bed with a white comforter took up most of the space. To my left there was a closet, where I began hanging up clothes until dinner.

Ah, the awkward conversations are back, I’ve missed them. It was dinner time now, and my Dad had finally run out of things to talk about. Dad then said, “Brighton, after dinner, Janet, Chris, and myself have a present we would like to give you. Is that alright?”

No, it is not alright, I hate presents.

I felt as now would not be a good time to let the family see my sarcastic side. I just nodded.

Dinner took awhile with Chris eating extra slow to test my patience. Did I mention I don’t like kids? I really don’t like this one.

Dad led me outside and told me to close my eyes, which I did… sort of. I was taken to the garage, there he told me to open them. In front of me was possibly the most cutest thing I have ever seen. It was an older looking, red Mini Cooper with white racing stripes.

I was so overcome with joy I that hugged my dad and Janet and ran to the car.

“Yeah, a guy I know that lives on the reservation has a son who is really good with cars, he fixed it up for you.” said my Dad.

I was so happy, I finally had a Mini Cooper. I got inside, and some of my happiness went away when I saw it was a manual. I hadn’t driven one since I first started driving, but no matter! I’d just reteach myself.

“Why don’t you take it for a test drive, try to be back by ten.” said my Dad, and I was gone. 

I stuck to the side streets for awhile while I tried to cure my whip-lash from changing gears. When I managed to change gears more smoothly (smoothly being me not hitting my head on the steering wheel), I went onto the main street… which was a joke.

A few shops here and there and that was it. I drove by the school to get a look. Nothing unordinary, it was a school. I drove around for another hour before going home. So much for be back by ten, how could anyone stay out till ten here? There’s nothing to do. When I got home, I said a quick hello to everyone and went up to my room. I stood there for awhile, thinking, school was a few days away, but I was already nervous. I climbed into bed where I immediately fell asleep.

The next few days I won’t even begin to describe to you. Basically I watched Singing in the Rain twice and wished I had some friends so we could do some last minute Summer stuff before school started.

The little excitement I had came on my last day before school started when I went to go downstairs to get tape for my posters and pictures from Janet. As I was going downstairs rather quickly, I tripped over my own foot, and by the looks of it broke my wrist, as there was a huge amount of pain going through it.

Janet then went into super panic mode and ushered Chris and I out the door, into the car, and to the hospital, speeding along the way, as if I were dying.

Waiting, is a total bore. I had to have been there for at least an hour, banging my head against the white wall looking at another white wall, until Dr. Cullen came in.

Speechless, doesn’t even begin to describe it. He was awe inspiring, he seemed like a god. Everything about him was so freaking perfect.

He then asked how I hurt myself, feeling a little out of it due to the pain, I said, “Well Sir, I needed some tape that was downstairs, so I took the quicker, but not quite as effective way of getting there… which involved a lot of tumbling… and pain.”

This received a deep, musical like laugh. He then asked me if I was new here, to create small chit chat while he looked at my wrist, and I said I was. He then told me he had children at the high school, and I might have some classes with them. Did he have these children when he was 12? He looked too young to have high school aged children.

The next part was spent in silence as he put a bright orange cast on me. I looked over to Janet and she looked like she was getting ready to pass out. I almost killed myself, when she was supposed to be keeping an eye on me, oh dear!

“Done,” Dr. Cullen said, “Come back in about a month and we’ll take the cast off, and Brighton, always take the slower way down the stairs, it comes with less consequences.” I smiled and nodded, then hastily left the hospital.

Awkward silence filled the car on the way home. Janet broke it by saying in her whisper like voice, “Since you can’t drive, I’ll take you to school, is that OK?” I fought off a grimace and nodded. When I came home my Dad was there all worried, which I guess is understandable. I’ve only been there for a few days, and I’ve already managed to hurt myself.

I went to watch TV with Chris, but it was one of those stupid reality rapper shows, so I stayed as long as I could, before going to my room, and then not too much later, got called back down again for one of Janet’s famous dinners. I then went back upstairs to get ready for bed, and forget about the stressful day I would have tomorrow.