Chapter Three

The pathetic ring sound, that was the bell, came over the intercom, I followed Alice out of the classroom and saw Emily waiting for me. I went over to explain that I had someone to take me to my next class, while nodding over to Alice, since Jasper had already bolted out the door.

“Oh.” she said, and gave Alice a quick I’m-not-to-sure-about-you look and then gave me a smile and walked off.

I went back to Alice who continued her twenty questions. “Did I have any pets?” “Not anymore.”

We went into the library where the Study Hall was at.

Jasper and the two other Cullen boys were already at a back table. I stopped, ready to go sit at a table next to me, when Alice asked, “What are you doing?”

“Uhh… sitting down.” I said.

“Why? Come sit with us.”

I looked back over to the table meeting Jasper’s hard gaze and the curious gazes of the other two before replying,

“I don’t think that’s a good idea. I get a feeling your brother doesn’t like me.”

“Nonsense!” cried Alice, “Don’t pay attention to him.”

Alice practically dragged me to the table. She’s strong for someone so little. I was so nervous, I was shaking and I felt sick. Why was I nervous? They were just people. Yeah, unnaturally attractive people. I probably looked uglier than sin next to them. I heard a slight laugh which I assume came from the bronze hair one. Great, he’s already laughing at me.

I finally brought my head up, because my plain black shoes weren’t that interesting anymore. As I did, I met Jasper’s gaze. Suddenly, I felt really relaxed. It felt nice. I mean, my mind was still reeling, but this, this felt good. Almost like being on drugs or something.

“Everyone, this is Brighton!” said Alice. “That there, that’s Emmett.” she said pointing to a huge muscular man. Did he get held back a couple of years? He could kill me. I smiled a slight smiled, which he returned.

“You already know Jasper,” I smiled again, even though, I knew him. I was determined to get on his good side, I mean it was a chair… a chair!

She then pointed to the bronze hair boy, “That’s Edward.” He gave a slight hello, which I returned with a very meek “hey.”

I sat down next to Alice feeling very insecure, even though I was freakishly calm. To keep myself from staring at them. I read every name of the books on the shelf in front of me. Pride and Prejudice… Jane Eyre…. Dracula… Lord of the Rings… Well, that’s boring.

Alice and her family were discussing about going hunting. Since I know nothing about hunting I kept out of the conversation. Not that I would say anything if I did know something. I pushed back the chair and got up to go get a book off the shelf. I stood in front of the shelf contemplating what I should choose, cocking my head to the side trying to read the titles better.

Most of them I’d already read. Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre I could probably recite to you word for word. After further contemplation, I finally decided on Dracula, since the other selections didn’t really catch my eye. I grabbed the slightly tattered book and turned around to go take my seat next to Alice.

Once again I came facing four pairs of eyes. I wanted to throw my hands up and just say “Chill! I’m just getting a book!” I obviously didn’t and quietly went back to sit next to Alice. Sitting down, I glanced up again to find the eyes still on me. This was getting old, I was tired of this, so I stared back. It was a big staring contest!