Thirty Two.

*Ashley's POV*

"So. Kai. Why do you bunk? Is it just the bullies?" I said as we sat leaning against the wall.

"Well... No... I mean... That's not the entire reason." He stammered.

"What are the other reasons?" I asked.

"I... I..." Kai couldn't even look at me. "I have dyslexia..."

"Oh! Why didn't you say?" I grinned. Kai looked like he was about to cry. "Kai. Its not a big deal." I told him.

"I'm a dumb shit..." He sniffed.

"You aren't! You're one of the smartest boys I know." I said truthfully.

Kai looked at me with a look of pain and upset. "Why do you have to lie to me?"

"I never would." I said.

But I do. I lie every day. I tell him that Morgan doesn't hit me. To Kai, everything's okay. But nothing is really okay.

Kai must have seen my facial expression because he looked at me, hurt. "You are. I can see."

"I am lying to you, but not about the 'smart' thing. It's something else." I admitted. Why did I just say that? God damn it.

His face lit up. "What?"

"Oh. I... I was joking." I lied.

He frowned at me. "Funny one." Kai sighed. "Now tell me what you are lying to me about. Because I think I have a hunch."

"You do? Oh..." It was my turn to look upset, and I felt Kai touch my shoulder.

Why can't I tell him? It'll make everything better again. But my voice just wouldn't let me.

"Kai..." I stammered. "Kai... He..."

"Just tell me. If I think what you want to say is what you really do want to say then it is very serious." Kai warned.

He's right. "I'm sorry." I said softly.

"What? Why are you sorry?" He tucked my hair behind my ear and peered into my eyes as I looked away, not daring to look at him.

"Because I've lied to you all this time. If I'd have only told you before everything would be fine." I bit my lip.

"I hope to fresh hell that you aren't saying what I think you're saying." Kai shook his head.

I started crying softly. "No. Sh." He whispered.

"Kai." I looked him in the eye.

"Yeah?" He said quietly.

"Morgan hits me."