Chapter Two

Unlike my mum I decided to go for my normal casual look some black skinny jeans and a plain white t-shirt. I didn't understand why you need to dress up when you're going to someone else's house for dinner it's not like they're the royal family or anything. I made my way downstairs to be met with my mums unimpressed look.

"You're seriously not wearing that" she sassed.

"Um yes I am" I replied in the same tone she had used she muttered something under her breath and I didn't really care what she said. Rule number 1: don't care too much.

"Go get in the car I just need to grab my bag" mum told me like I actually cared what she needed to get.

The drive felt like a long time considering mum was trying to make the usual small talk you know the 'how was work anything interesting happen' I'm surprised she hasn't just packed her bags whilst I was at work and left. I'm a bitch to her. I rolled my eyes at her and made out I liked the song that was playing on the radio turning it up to drown her out.

My innocence is wearing thin
But my heart is growing strong
So call me, call me, call me
Miss moving on

Okay this is a lame ass song. After what felt like an eternity we reached our destination. Before I could exit the car mum turned towards me and started speaking.

"Can you try and be nice" I could feel her looking at me but I kept looking directly ahead.

"I am nice" I frowned. Does she really think I'm not nice?

"They have two daughters and a son who knows you might be able to socialise with them and make a friend" brilliant even my mum is picking up on my social life or lack of.

"Are you done?" I sighed not really feeling ready for this dinner. I exited the car and followed my mum up the path to the door where she knocked three times before being met by a man.

"Hi you must be Eleanor I'm Mike Clara's husband" the man whose name I'm 100% sure is Mike shook my mums hand before allowing us into his home.

"It's nice to meet you Mike this is my daughter Y/N" mum said nodding towards me.

"It's nice to meet you Y/N" he said extending his hand which I reluctantly shook. "Right this way" he said leading us to the kitchen. Their home was simple yet elegant. There were pictures scattered in frames across the walls and on the tables although I was curious to see the photos I didn't want to seem rude I just kept my eyes forward and followed Mike and my mum.

"Clara how nice to see you" my mum said when we entered the kitchen. She looks familiar. Why does she look so oh god no please don't tell me.

"It's nice to see you to Eleanor" oh lord help me. "And you are the girl that served us today in target right?" Kill me now please. Play dumb.

"Um maybe I'm not sure I don't really remember" perfect.

"This is my daughter Y/N" my mum told Clara. If she introduces me to anyone else today I'm gonna lose my shit.

"Lauren come down here" Mike shouted from the kitchen. Oh god. This really isn't good.

"What I was talking to Dinah" the raspy voice spoke "oh sorry um hi" is she speaking to me or my mum I wasn't sure so I just smiled slightly at her.

"Why don't you show Y/N around Lauren?" Clara said it wasn't a question it was more of a command.

"This is the kitchen" Lauren said in monotone causing my to laugh and her to smile.

"I think I got that" I said still laughing.

"Follow me" Lauren led me to the living room I used this opportunity to observe the pictures that I had seen whilst walking through it. I caught glimpse of Lauren with a boy he had his arms wrapped around her waist and his head was buried in her neck whilst Lauren was laughing. It looked genuine.