Stolen by the Brotherhood Chapter 12 - The Orb

"You must be starving," he said, clearly intent on avoiding the subject. "You haven't eaten anything since yesterday, and I'm sure your experience in the dining room was more than unsettling."

"So I take it this means you're avoiding my question?"

He smiled softly.

"Not at all, Tilly," he said, clasping my hand.

I jolted at the electric contact of his flesh. Though I tried to conceal my reaction, I was sure he noticed. Perhaps that was the intention.

"You deserve answers, especially regarding how we recognise that you're the one we seek, but more importantly, you can't let a hungry stomach affect your thinking."

Cillian led me to the door. Concerned that he might be trying to affect my feelings, I pulled away. In such a situation, I needed my mind, and my emotions, to be my own.

While I had to admit I was hungry, I was more concerned about the answers I might hear.

"What's wrong, Tilly?" he asked, escorting me through the bedroom as though he were a prince leading me to the dance floor at a magnificent ball.

"Donte," I said somewhat guiltily, realising that my boyfriend had not crossed my mind since Cillian had appeared in my room. "That's what's wrong. He should be the one I should be spending my time with, not a stranger."

Cillian turned to look at me. Despite myself, I felt drawn into his eyes as though I were a swimmer caught in a riptide.

"What are you thinking, Tilly?"

"Who... what are you?"

"You have a curious mind," he said with a smile that sent a shiver through my flesh. "But you're an artist, a very gifted one, so that's no surprise. I admire your spirit. Of course you want to know about us. Believe me, I do intend to tell you all about us."

I could offer no argument as he led me into the hallway past the stunning tapestries draping the walls. This time I stopped to more closely to inspect them. As I touched the silken fabric, I felt a peculiar connection to the scene.

One tapestry in particular caught my attention to the point where I couldn't tear my eyes from it. Cillian watched me carefully as though gauging my response to a depiction of a man and woman standing in a dreamy garden bathed in ethereal light. It looked like it could be on Earth, but somehow I knew it wasn't. The images were so lifelike I could have sworn I saw them breathing.

The man bore a striking resemblance to Cillian and his brothers, and appeared around the same age. He was dressed in a similar way with breeches and a billowing white shirt. The woman wore a stunning pearl encrusted cream satin and lace domino mask concealing her upper face, but from what I could see, she was stunning. Almond-shaped eyes of the deepest mahogany peered through the openings. Full cupid-bow lips curled into a secret smile reminiscent of the Mona Lisa, and her perfectly sculpted oval face was framed by a thick mane of shimmering platinum hair.

The couple clasped hands and gazed at each other with a look that could only be described as adoration. What struck me the most about the image was how much the woman resembled Seraphina. Standing beside her was a man who looked at least half her age. The more I looked, the more fascinated I became by her timeless beauty. I wanted to ask Cillian who she was, but I was afraid of the answer.

He seemed to wait for my question, but I kept silent. He offered his hand. I was hesitant about taking it. I didn't want him to think that I was willingly playing along with whatever was happening here, but his magnetic pull was too strong. I slowly reached for his hand. It was warm and firm, and I felt a spark of his flesh against mine as he led me down the hallway. Descending the spiral staircase, I watched the rainbow reflections of the chandelier crystals dance around the room.