The Star Maidens curse 7 - Ancient Soul

My thoughts were cut short as ahead, the vast arched doors to the manor swung open as Fionn and Torin approached. An older, platinum-haired woman with piercing blue eyes greeted them. Her exquisitely sculpted face emphasised flawless porcelain skin, reflecting an almost unworldly beauty. Clad in a gorgeous purple gown trimmed with ermine, she bore the contradictory demeanour of a woman who seemed both older and younger.

Fionn bowed his head, a polite response I didn't expect. She addressed them in a welcoming manner, though I couldn't quite catch her words. She turned and nodded toward us, and then he and Torin disappeared inside.

The woman watched us approach. When we reached her, I was struck by the odd contrast of youth and maturity displayed in her features as well as the resemblance she bore to the brothers. I wondered if she was their mother.

"Cillian," she said.

"Seraphina," he replied, respectfully bowing his head.

She turned and assessed me with her fathomless eyes. When I looked at her, I glimpsed an ancient soul.

"Take her inside," Seraphina said with quiet command. "She's hungry and thirsty, and must rest."

I cast her a grateful look as Cillian led me inside. In awe, I gazed around at vast, magnificently decorated rooms bearing furnishings from many cultures and eras . Bathed in the diffused light from the soaring windows, paintings, sculptures and other art dazzled my eye. Chandeliers glinted like rain drops dripping from the ceiling while luxurious rugs bearing intricate designs cushioned my feet. Everywhere I looked, thriving plants, many bearing gorgeous blossoms, shuddered when I passed.

The delicious aroma of food wafted from an elaborately laid table at the centre of a room overlooking a garden. My stomach growled, and I was suddenly hungry. Cillian closed the doors behind us and guided me toward a cushioned chair at the end of the table. I sat myself down and comfortably sunk into the seat. At the opposite end of the table, Fionn and Torin sat eating from a platter of fruit and drinking ruby wine from crystal glasses.

Ignoring me, Torin began to devour the food. Fionn stared at me. Feeling uncomfortable with the seating arrangements and exhausted by today's events, I leaned tiredly on the table.

Fionn's gaze shifted to my elbows, and I recalled my father admonishing me for placing my elbows on the table during Sunday dinner. I sat up and tried to straighten myself as much as my exhausted body would allow.

"Eat, Tilly," Cillian said, sitting beside me. "I know how hungry you must be. Later, you can rest."

The sight of so much food overwhelmed me. Tempting as it was, there was no way I'd touch it even though my mouth watered.

"No, thank you."

"You must eat," Fionn said.

I was hungry, but who knew if it was drugged? I didn't know anything about Fionn and his brothers, or what they were capable of.

"I said no."

"There's no need to be insulting," Fionn said.

"Well excuse me for wondering if the food is poisoned or something. You know, after how lovely you've been to me so far," I replied.

Torin laughed and helped himself to a succulent dish of fruit pastries. I grimaced as he stuffed two into his mouth like a starving animal.