The Star Maidens curse 8 - Energy of the universe

Chapter 8 —Energy of the Universe

Despite Seraphina's resonant command, Fionn and Cillian continued to fight with such viciousness that I thought they'd kill each other. Torin didn't seem to care much about one or the other, and he merely sat watching the spectacle as though he were watching a movie at the cinema.

Despite the violence, I saw no injury or blood spilt. I recalled a pub fight I'd once seen in the village. Though such disturbances were rare, there would sometimes be trouble with some of the supporters who'd consumed one too many pints after a rugby match. The fight there had been less vicious than this one by far, yet there had been blood pouring from one man's nose, and another bled from a cut above his eye, which I'm sure would have been black the following day.

My gaze darted to the tall windows beyond the dining table. Gardens and mountains beckoned, tempting me with the freedom I so desperately wanted to taste, but I knew any attempt to escape would be foiled long before I reached the window. If I wanted to escape from the brothers, I had to wait for the perfect moment, and I instinctively knew this moment wasn't it.

"I said stop! Now!"

Seraphina's voice thundered with such force that the chandeliers began to swing. I glanced up at the rattling crystals, fearful that one might fall like a deadly spear. Her tone left no room for argument, and Cillian and Fionn rolled to a stop, their chests heaving from exertion and their clothes in disarray. While Cillian looked away from Seraphina's blazing blue eyes, Fionn's insolent gaze lingered a moment longer. She stared unblinkingly back at him. Finally, Fionn's gaze broke away from hers, and the fury within the brothers gradually faded.

"Get up, both of you!" Seraphina said, approaching the table. "You shame Tilly with such behaviour."

She cast a scornful look at Torin, who instantly set down his wine glass with lowered eyes.

Fionn and Cillian rose and seated themselves at the table. They still glared at each other, but the tension had left the air and I didn't think they were about to fight again any time soon. At least not while Seraphina was around.

Seraphina's gaze flickered from one brother to the other. She shook her head disdainfully.

"Children. All of you. Yet you dare to claim you're superior to mortals. The very notion is absurd."

She stood beside me and touched my shoulder. Feeling a subtle aura of power that left my flesh warm and tingling, I involuntarily winced. She was clearly a figure of authority who commanded respect effortlessly from the brothers. Turning, she gazed at me with kind eyes. I felt myself fall into their sapphire depths. Gradually, my fear dissipated.

I'm not sure if it was her calming authority or if she was somehow hypnotising me with her stare, but I couldn't look away for a second.

"Leave the children to their play," she said with a velvety voice that hinted of wisdom. "You and I have much to discuss. Come with me."

She slipped her hand into mine. I felt immense relief that she was taking me away from the brothers. Her skin was amazingly soft, but her fingers gripped mine with surprising strength. Although Seraphina was calmer than the brothers, I knew I would have to keep my guard up around her and not let myself trust her too much. Her firm grip told me I was still very much a prisoner, and I thought that if I crossed her, her friendly manner would soon disappear.

As she led me away from the table, the brothers rose. I turned to look at Cillian. His eyes changed from anger to a gentle concern as they met mine, and I felt the unexplainable connection between us once more. He bore a sensitivity and compassion that neither of the other brothers possessed. I could understand how other women would be attracted to him, but it still worried me a little that I found him so attractive.