The Star Maidens Curse Chapter 5 - The Vortex

My heart leapt into my throat, and I felt my knees go weak. Now I knew this was no game or prank but something far deadlier than I could possibly comprehend. Fionn's words were spoken so casually, yet I didn't doubt them for a second.

But I couldn't just go along with whatever they had planned for me.

Think Tilly, I told myself.

Nothing came and when Cillian gripped my arm and led me behind the others, I found myself letting him lead me. Their pace was so rapid that the trees ahead of us were blurs. Cillian's arm around my lower back was all that stopped me from falling as he half dragged, half carried me forward at a pace I would have thought would have been impossible.

It felt like hours had passed as we moved silently through the trees. The forest grew denser, snuffing out the sunlight filtering through the branches. My legs ached as I tried to keep up and my pink lace flats were ruined from the dirt. Thoughts of escape buzzed in my head along with images of my family, the way the day had started, and the brutal attack I'd witnessed. I still smelled the reek of blood and wondered if mine would be shed next.

Then I remembered what Torin and Cillian had said about my innocence. I was almost afraid to think in what context he had meant that comment.

Cillian seemed to sense my sudden shift in thoughts and he glanced at me reassuringly, which ignited a flicker of hope in me, but he quickly masked it the look when Fionn glanced over his shoulder.

"Make sure she keeps up," he said. "These human women are too slow."

Human women? What Who the hell were they to demean me in such a way?

I glanced fearfully at Cillian, hoping to see my annoyance reflected on his face, but he kept his gaze on his two brothers. I was tempted to yank my trembling hand from his grip, but I knew it would not only be pointless, but such a reckless act could endanger me even further. I had to wait until I was certain I could get away before I stepped out of line because I didn't trust Fionn not to carry out his earlier threat and I feared what he might be capable of.

As I began to labour for breath, I smelled the freshness of the forest. Memories of childhood forays here filled me with nostalgia. I used to imagine I'd stumbled into an enchanted forest and spent hours creating adventures of chase and rescue with mystical creatures. Inventing fairy tales, I wouldn't return home until dusk.

The forest was also my creative haven, a place where I loved to draw and paint the curious and recurring visions I'd experienced. Like half-remembered dreams, I spent many afternoons trying to recapture the shimmering motes of sunlight dancing through the air of each image. Even now, my creations of a magical universe with different worlds and dimensions graced the walls of my room and filled my sketchbook.

How had my sanctuary so quickly become my prison?

Tears stung my eyes. I wondered if I'd ever see my art again. I thought of my bedroom window, open to my mother's lush garden below. So often I heard her singing softly as she tended to her own artistic creations, at home with the rich, heady soil that she worked like a sculptor moulding clay. The roses would be in full bloom, their heavenly fragrance wafting into the house like exotic perfume.

Those poignant memories were now threatened. These strange men might kill me, and all that would remain for those I loved would be my art. I wanted to cry, but I felt weak from exhaustion and could barely breathe. I envisioned my mother's face and heard her voice in my mind.

Hold your chin up, Tilly, and never forget who you are because life is so precious and there's so much to smile about.

Her words soothed me and eased the fear even of this dangerous situation. I blinked the tears angrily away. They might kill me, but they wouldn't break me. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of that.