Chapter 21

I ran as fast as I could toward something I couldn't see. I knew we were deep in the forest because I couldn't hear any sounds of the city. I was cradling Phantom in my arms, the once healthy wolf, only a shell of her former self. When I had met her, I could have sworn that she was at least 120 pounds. But now, she was maybe 70, if not less. I was making more noise than necessary but thought that if hunters were near, they could help.

I ran for what felt like hours, and it must have been because suddenly, I was no longer running on the soft grass I had grown accustomed to over our time in the forest. My feet were hitting pavement or, more specifically, asphalt on a street. The streetlights were on, though from the color of the sky I deducted that it was around 2 or 3 in the morning. Phantom whimpered lowly and tried to wiggle out of my arms and I understood her discomfort; she wasn't raised around people and was uncomfortable near or around a large amount of people. For me, after a month and a half of being in the forest, I was also very wary, though more of the way that others would think of me when they saw what clothes I was wearing and how crazy I must look. Self-conscious and egotistical, I know, but I had no idea where I was and if I were caught, I wanted to make a good first impression.

By this time, my breath was coming out in ragged gasps as I ran down the middle of the street, my bare feet slapping the road heavily. I was exhausted from using so much energy at once and my legs were shaking. I felt my legs give out and suddenly, we were falling. Midair, I twisted myself so that I took the blow from the fall. I saw stars as there was a sharp 'CRACK' when my skull collided with the concrete. I let out a silent scream of pain and Phantom howled as she slammed into my chest. My vision blurred with unshed tears as the little air that I could keep in my lungs was knocked out when Phantoms weight collided into me. Once I was able to regain my breath and wipe away my tears, I stood up, still cradling Phantom against my chest.

I felt a warm liquid running down my neck and I immediately knew that I was bleeding from my skull, but there was no time for me to try and fix myself up. That's when I noticed that the quiet town had come to life at the sound of Phantom's howl. Or, more specifically, the animals in town had woken up. I could hear birds chirping and dogs barking. In a house down the street, I heard what sounded like glass shattering and I imagined they must have cats that were freaking out at the moment. The sound that most caught my attention however was a chorus of howls and whines that seemed concentrated in one spot. Immediately I imagined what it must be. A pound.

I started running toward the cacophony, hoping there was a vet, or someone there that could offer their assistance. As I ran through the unknown streets, I could only hope that I was not too late to save Phantom. She had been my constant companion throughout the time we spent trying to find her brother and she was, quite literally, a part of my soul. Without her, I have no doubt I wouldn't be alive. The streetlights provided just enough lighting that I didn't trip over anything and within minutes, I stood in front of a sign that read "24 hour Veterinary Service". I sighed in relief, but when I peered in through one of the widows, I only saw an empty desk with a small light. There was no one sitting there. I felt tears start streaming down my face as Phantom let out an agony filled whine. But I couldn't stand there and do nothing.

I started pounding on the door, biting my lip to keep from screaming in defeat. But no one came to the door. I started seeing black around the edges of my vision and knew I was going to pass out soon from the combination of physical exertion, stress and blood loss. I sank to my knees as my strength seemed to disappear. Finally, I let out a scream that contained my anger, frustration and sadness. I was defeated. I spent all this time, bonding with my wolf just to have her slip from my gasp. I knew I would not be the same. I was broken. I was not an Alpha. Phantom would not survive and I would never be complete.

I lay on the floor in front of the door, the streetlight illuminating us, its gentle buzz the only sound I heard; the dogs had piped down the moment we stepped onto the land surrounding the building. I buried my face into her fur, breathing in her smell, both forest and wild. I ran a finger along the edge of her ear, my digit dipping in the notch that was meant to mimic my piercing. I didn't want to let her go, but no one was here to help us.