V: Resupply

As I shut the double metallic doors, I turned, expecting to be drowned in darkness. I was surprised when I saw stairs leading down, a dim outline of a wide passage appearing below.

"There's a thick metal bar to your left. Slide that through the handles, it will keep the doors from opening. I'd help but..." Gary winced, grabbing his elbow.

He began taking a few steps down.

"Stay where I can see you."

He sighed. "It's not like-"

I slid the heavy bar through the handles with a bang, cutting off his words. The doors protested as the wind began picking up outside, lifting them, ever so slightly.

I spun on Gary. "I'm not letting you out of my sight. You think I trust you? Try anything, and you'll end up like your friends out there. Got it?"

Oh shit, claws are out!

"Yeah, I get it," he replied, his words dripping with venom.

He'd just lost two friends, I was sure he'd like nothing more than to avenge their deaths. I hadn't survived this long by letting my guard down so easily. I'd keep a close eye on him.

I'm telling you, should have left his ass for the storm, Phoenix.

I ignored Kip's criticism and prodded Gary to move down the stairs.

"How is this place lit?" I asked as we descended.

"Generator," he answered plainly, as if the answer should have been clear.

I stepped from the last stair, my mouth falling open as my vision adjusted to the dimly lit area.

Lights hung on either side, running along the walls to the end of the room. A wide center aisle ran the length of the enormous area, racks filled with various supplies sitting on either side, all neatly stacked.

Sweet baby Jesus, look at all this stuff. Jackpot!

"This had to be a warehouse or bunker?" I asked, gazing at the numerous pipes running along the ceiling above.

"Chaz's dad owned this place. It is...was a local supply store. He always overstocked," Gary replied, stopping at one of the racks a few feet away. He met my eyes. "Just grabbing this for my arm."

He held up what looked like a sling.

I nodded, watching him throw it over his shoulder. "You should keep it straight-"

You want to kiss it and make it better? The fuck are you doing?

"What?" Gary eyed me suspiciously.

I shook my head. "Nothing," I answered.

He shrugged. "There's a room at the end with cots if you're tired," he said nonchalantly, wincing as he set his arm into the sling. "I'm going to get some pain medicine, if that's okay?" He said it as if I was his mom and I'd just taken away his phone privileges.

I wrinkled my nose at his suggestion to lay down and rest. "Uhh, I'm okay. I've got a few questions when you're done. I'm going to take a look around."

He didn't reply and went to another rack a few rows down, the sound of pills bouncing around in a bottle met my ears.

I began making my way down the center aisle, searching through the racks as I went.

I told you these guys had a stash. We can stay here a few days, take a little R&R.

I grinned. "You know I've got to keep moving. We'll wait out this storm, get some good shut-eye, take what we need and be on our way."