The Dragon Riders and the Prophecy Unfolds

"Ok but Hermoine the spell allowed me to ride a dragon during the battle of Hogwarts!" Charlie said frowning. "Dragons are susceptible to some magic and you know it."

"Charlie that Dragon almost killed you an hour later too!" Hermoine said as she faced her brother-in-law over her husband's bed.

"But Hermoine it will only take a few minutes to subdue them, cast the spell and take care of those on the other side of the wall." Charlie said frowning. "And the two Hungarian Horntails are our best bets against those on the other side of that wall because its harder to cast spells against them." He said.

"Right and just suppose Charlie Weasley that your Dragon eats you?" Hermoine said now clearly upset. "Who do you think your mother will blame for it?" She said. "The answer is flat out no in big bold lettering! Mother would never even speak to me again." Hermoine said.

"Well that's why they call you an unspeakable sis!" Charlie said flashing his best smile eliciting a chuckle from Ron whom Hermoine turned on at once.

"Don't you dare encourage him Ronald Weasley." Hermoine said. "You know as well as I do Charlie was laid up for a month after that spell wore off and that was only a Norwegian Ridgeback!" She said fuming at the both of them.

"Then do the bonding spell you found Hermoine." Charlie said. "If the Dragon bonds with me he is less likely to eat me you know." He said chuckling and Hermoine looked at the both of them.

"That bonding spell is ancient and we don't know if it actually worked." Hermoine said.

"Of course it worked Hermoine!" Ron said now giving her a funny look. "Merlin did that spell on an Ironbelly and that is what he rode into battle against the goblins!" He said.

Hermoine Weasley sighed and thought, and not for the first time, that she was sometimes too smart and curious for her own good. The Merlin manuscripts were in the Hall of Mysteries now and was one of the things she had been studying for three years. A small book of spells written in Merlin's handwriting had been found with his manuscripts and only one of the spells had been tried and to great success by Hermoine herself. The manuscripts had been among the possessions of Dumbledore. Before the battle of Hogwarts she had found both the manuscripts and the small spell book in among her things with a note from the old headmaster. Chancing a spell before the battle of Hogwarts she had cast a spell that would give Charlie control of the beast for a time but was unsure how much time, not unlike the sleeping spell that was now being used on the dragons out on the grounds now.

"That bonding spell, I haven't tested it Charlie and I am not going to teach you an untested spell to use against, of all things, a Dragon!" Hermoine said and turned walked out the medical wing doors leaving the two men along.

"Well that was a bust." Charlie said. "I would have thought she would be itching to try a spell like that out."

"Normally she would be but you know she wouldn't do anything that would hurt mum." Ron said. "Of course she did say she wouldn't give you an untested spell to try didn't she?" He said suddenly raising his eyebrows, sitting up quickly and swinging his legs over the side of the bed all in one smooth motion. "Help me get my pants on Charlie before it's too late to stop her!" He shouted and Charlie frowned helping his brother until his brain clicked as well and while Ron was grabbing his cane Charlie had sprinted out the door to try to catch up with his sister-in-law.

Hermoine had opened the front door and walked out seeing that what dragons weren't asleep were far out across the lawn. The nearest Dragon was the Ironbelly that had almost made a meal out of Hagrid. Walking up to it while it was still asleep was scary enough but what happened next made her want to scream. She laid her hand on the leg of the beast and did the bonding spell and the head of the dragon rose and turned to face her so close it could have swallowed her whole if it had wanted to. She stood stock still looking the dragon in its huge yellow eyes until it laid its head down on the ground near her and nudged her causing her to fall to the ground.