Trials and Tribulations

The next day using a time turner Harry arrived outside the courtroom of the Wizengomet at eight in the morning. He had already taught his classes for the day and McGonagall and he had taken care of four of the wards around Hogwarts. Although he felt drained he was nervous about his first real day on the panel of judges. The last time had just been a case of underage wizarding.

As he walked through the door he saw the other judges taking their seats and made his way over to take a seat near Draconian Malfoy and shook his hand as he took his seat.

"Good to see you my boy, good to see you. I can see you're a bit nervous but don't let it bother you. Most of it is common sense." The older man said smiling and Harry nodded although he was still just as nervous.

A tall and rather thin man entered and handed Amira a long parchment and went to stand near the door. Amira glanced down the parchment and took out her wand and made copies and passed them to the others.

Harry noticed a few of the other members smile or wave to him or came to welcome him to the panel personally but Umbridge merely ignored him.

Harry glanced at the parchment he was passed and noticed the names on one side and the list of charges and evidence on the other side of the page.

The first three cases involving minor underage magic were let go with warnings which sparked at least two arguments, one involving Harry and Umbridge which ended the moment Amira shot Umbridge a very pointed look.

Their first real case of the day was a thief from Knockturn Alley named Karl Darkwood who was caught red handed by Ron and Neville selling fake dark magic charms just last week.

As he came in all eyes except those of Harry's turned hard on the man. Harry however saw something immediately in the man. He remembered Ron telling him that the man was starving and both he and Neville were about to let him go with a warning when one of the fake charms exploded in a woman's hand down the street sending her to St. Mungo's.

"Mr. Darkwood you are charged with making and the distribution of fake charms against the dark arts that were made with dark magic." Amira said.

Harry noticed Ron and Neville both sneak in and take seats in the gallery in the witness section.

"You are further charged with causing a great deal of injury to a Bernadette Johnson." Amira read on. "How do you plead sir?"

"Guilty, but for the fact that I didn't make the charms ma'am. I only sold them." The small man said quietly.

Most were surprised and then a clearing of the throat brought them back and they turned to the witness podium. "Members of the Wizengomet if I may?" Ron said and Harry saw his face was red.

"Yes Mr. Weasley you have something to say on behalf of the accused?" Amira asked and Ron nodded.

"Yes Madam Bones I do. When we approached the accused he had only sold one of the charms. The accused didn't make the charms but was given the job to panhandle them by a third party. Unfortunately a charm was worked on him, we believe, to obliviate the memory of the one who put him to work." Ron said and his voice was gaining a confident air. "We do know that the accused was put out of business during the second war and has held various jobs since in both the wizarding community and the muggle community." Ron finished.

"Muggle jobs?" Sneered Umbridge.

"Begging your pardon ma'am but a job is a job isn't it?" Darkwood said. "Until now I have at least held honest jobs. I am sorry about this and I want to make good, honest I do." He said and Harry believed him.

"Be that as it may you broke the law and our wizarding laws are strict. I say a year in Azkaban." Umbridge said immediately.

"I'm afraid I'd have to agree owing to the damage caused Mr. Darkwood. We all sympathize with your plight but if we let you off with just a warning I don't think that would be justice." Amira said and Harry could tell she meant it as well.