Chapter Six: Courage, Dear Heart

Music is "The Aviators (Extended Version)" by Helen Jane Long.

Picture is Steve Rogers in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"Courage, dear heart."

- C. S. Lewis

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

Hey guys!

I want to apologize for my terrible timing for posting lately. I'm being inconsistent and tardy, I know. The last couple weeks have been very busy! School's starting soon, I've been out and about with family, I've been visiting colleges, and my allergies have been giving me hell so I try to avoid screens, but those are no excuse!

I will try to be better, I swear. I'm going to aim for once a week, but we will see how that goes. I figure I owe you an extra long chapter, so that's what this one is! :D

Don't give up on me! I haven't given up on this story, and I still can't wait to write more :)

Love and Light,

~Save_Pietro_Maximoff

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER SIX

"Gloria?" My mother's voice shakes, almost as if she can't believe what she's hearing.

"Yeah, it's been a long time."

"Too long. I was starting to think you weren't ever going to call me back. It's been almost a week."

"I know, and that's my fault. I'm sorry. It's been a long week."

There's a pause, before she says, "I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about your life besides what I see on the TV, but I sure as hell would love to know you better, Gloria."

I blink my eyes, not knowing how to reply. This was the woman who left me and my sister with my father, left us alone. What do I say? "Um..."

"I know that I left you and your sister with your father when you were young, and I know that right then and there was my first mistake. First of many, and I know I can never make up for the damage I did, but your father and I are friends again, Gloria. We would love to see you again. Even your sister wants to see you."

"Rebecca, I... I don't know," I choke out. I haven't called her "mom" or any affectionate term since I was ten years old. The one time she called last week, "mom" slipped out. She was the last person I'd expected to call.

"We miss you."

"Why now?" I ask, suspicious. "Why now? I'm twenty-five. I'm a comic writer and an Avenger. Everyone knows that. What is this really about, mother?"

She sighs. "There isn't an ulterior motive, ladybug," she says, calling me by my childhood nickname. "Roosevelt and I regret most of our parenting. I know you're grown and have your own family now, but I would like a chance... just one."

"I don't know..."

"Just one chance?"

I lie down on the rooftop hammock, curling up with a blanket and my favorite book, The Red Necklace. I'd fallen in love with it after I listened to the audiobook read by Tom Hiddleston. "Okay. What did you have in mind?"

I can hear her smile in her next words. "I was thinking dinner. At your father's place. He has a barbecue planned for next friday, and we would love nothing more than for you to join us."

"Can I bring a plus-one? I have a fiancee..."

"Please do! I would love to meet this boy, or girl, if that's what you're into."