Chapter 18

Amy's POV

I can't seem to find the energy to get out of bed. This weekend has just been brutal. Dylan had it the worst though. Dad's letting him stay home from school today.

The weekend was full of talking to the police and beginning the investigation. I hate how many times Dylan had to retell what happened.

But somehow Dylan managed to keep himself together. For an eight year old, he acted with great maturity throughout the whole process. And despite what he went through, he remained calm and didn't get overwhelmed or freaked out.

News about the investigation of Dylan's coach broke out. This resulted in two more kids coming forward and saying that they were also abused by the same coach. One of them was on the team last season, and the other is Dylan's current teammate.

After taking the statements from Dylan, and these other two children, that pervert was charged with child abuse and child molestation. I felt a sense of relief knowing that that man had handcuffs around his wrists. I can only imagine how much more of a relief that was for Dylan.

Although Dylan was good and cooperated with the police, he's been quiet at home. He spends most of his time sleeping or playing videos games alone. But since his coach got arrested, he's starting to talk a little bit more. Once that man is found guilty and put in jail, things should get better.

I sigh, and reluctantly get out of bed. I slowly make my way to the washroom and brush my teeth. Then I go back to my room, and change into a pair of tights and a tank top. I do my hair, and a little bit of makeup, not really caring about how I look.

On my way downstairs for breakfast, I peek into Dylan's room. He's fast asleep on his bed. Fortunately, he doesn't look like he's having a nightmare. He's been having a lot of bad dreams lately, and he wakes up screaming every time.

I walk over to Dylan, and kiss his forehead while he's still sleeping. I brush aside his hair, and kiss him one more time before leaving his room.

I head downstairs and join dad in the kitchen. He's drinking a coffee while reading the newspaper. I make myself some toast, and then sit across from him.

"Are you sure it's a good idea to leave Dylan alone?," I ask.

"I think be needs a break from people, and should just get a day for himself," dad says.

"I just don't like the idea of leaving him here alone."

"Well I'm going to be calling him every hour to check on him," he tells me. "Feel free to call him too."

"Ok," I say and finish eating my toast.

I grab my bag, put on my shoes, and then leave the house. I get in my car, and start driving to the university. I leisurely make my way through traffic.

I park my car in the parking lot, and then head into the building. I go to class, and sit next to Terrance in the seat that he saved for me.

"Hey," Terrance says.

"Hey."

"You don't look so good," he tells me. "Like you still look pretty, but you just look like you're getting sick or something."

I sigh. "It's just been a long weekend."

"What happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it. It's family stuff," I say.

"Oh ok, I understand. But if you change your mind, and you do want to talk about it, I'm here to listen," Terrance says with a smile.

"Thank you," I say, giving him a small smile.