26 - It's Over

Officer Smith reached Zara first, using his jacket to stem the bleeding. Paramedics burst through the door, running to attend the injured. Screams, wails and moans were all floating around the room. Two members of the ambulance team were assessing the officer who had had his throat slit just moments ago.

"He's dead."

Harriet already knew that, she had to witness that first hand. Two more paramedics ran past her to get to Zara.

"It doesn't look too deep, she's still managing to breathe. We need to get her to the hospital." One stated to the other, the look of determination draped on his features. They speedily worked together to get Zara strapped up and ready to go, loaded her up and sped off towards the hospital. Captain Price was nowhere to be seen, so she assumed he had also been whisked away.

Paramedics began rush around her, helping each officer. They placed the dead officer in a body bag and waited for the arrival of the car to move him.

Harriet was still rooted to the spot, her gun still in her hands. She stared down at the collapsed body in front of her, the blood pouring out from his head. She was suddenly transported back to her dream where she was drowning in his blood. Now she felt like she had been freed. She had killed the murderer and saved possibly hundreds of women's lives, including her own.

"Excuse me, Detective Harriet?" She turned to face another paramedic, who motioned his eyes back down to Patricks body. "Can we remove him?"

"Sure. Burn him, for all I care." Harriet began to walk to the door of the building, the hustle and bustle seemingly calm around her. Once outside, she took a deep breath. It was over.

"Hey, Smith." She walked over to Officer Smith, who was stood next to the body transport vehicle.

"Hey Harriet. I just want to say well done." Harriet flinched at his words. "You finished it, and I know that couldn't have been easy for you."

"It was easier than you would imagine. Once he confirmed that he murdered Jason, it was only going to end one way." Harriet shrugged. "You would have done the same."

"Absolutely."

"Do you know which hospital they've taken Roger and Zara to?"

"Queen Elizabeth. I thought you might want to go." He smiled at her, a sudden calm washing over her as he did.

"Yeah, I'll catch you at the office later. There's going to be one hell of a lot of paperwork to fill out."

She walked towards the unmarked police car that she and the Captain had arrived in. Fishing the keys out from her pocket, she unlocked and buckled herself in. She flicked the ignition and pulled out into the streets, heading towards the hospital. She needed to know what was happening with her Captain and her partner. She owed her life to them.

***

Harriet strode into the hospital and up to the reception desk to be greeted by a bright blonde bubbly rather round lady, who's happy, cheery personality made everything seem a bit better.

"Hi there. How can I help you today?" She questioned, smiling at Harriet, who in turn smiled back.

"Hi. I'm Detective King. Two of my colleagues were taken in today and I was wondering whether I could visit them? Roger Price and Zara Sheed." Harriet showed her badge to the receptionist who nodded in confirmation.

"Hold on just one minute Detective King." She began typing away on her computer, grinning when the results came up. "Rooms 306 and 309. They're on the third floor, second hallway on the right."