2 - The Calling Card

A/N: I hope you're enjoying this as much as I am writing it!

PLEASE: Vote, comment, share!!

The clock was ticking agonisingly slow as Harriet waited in the office for her partner's arrival. It was now twenty to eleven in the morning and Jason still hadn't showed up. Obviously she wasn't sat there watching the door or clock but it was unlike him to be this late. Just as she was about to send him another text message, the office door was flung open wide and a grinning Jason saunters in.

"Where the hell have you been Murray?" She cries, noticing how he winces when she raised her voice.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" He laughed as he took his place at his desk and switched on his computer. He turned towards Harriet, seeing she was actually waiting for an explanation. She wasn't going to like it though and Jason thought about not telling her, but he knew she wouldn't let it drop. "I had a busy night last night... if you know what I mean. It carried on to the morning and I was so tired I wanted a lay in for a few hours."

Harriet scrunched her nose up in disgust; she forgot how rude men can be. Jason laughed at her reaction and shook his head. Harriet acted all sweet and innocent, but given half the chance he knew she'd be a devil in bed. How he longed to get rid of her innocent act, but he just couldn't bring himself to pull her into his childish games. He knew that Harriet deserved better, she deserved to be treated like  a Queen.

"Ew, Jason, you're a pig." Harriet fluttered her hand as if to dismiss him and returned back to her work. The two detectives sat in a comfortable silence while sorting their own files out. Harriet was just pleased to see Jason here safe.

After about half an hour of pure working silence, Jason spoke up once more.

"Are you ready to go down to the crime scene?" Harriet shrugged in response. "Considering we didn't get much from the questioning yesterday, I think that is our next best stop."

Harriet shifted in her seat, feeling Jason's gaze land directly on her. His green eyes captured her, and muffled the part of her brain that was screaming for her to stop being so pathetic. Her cheeks blushed as she looked up and nodded.

"Forensics have already been through it with a fine tooth comb though, so I doubt there is anything left."

"Maybe so Hatty but things aren't always what they seem. What they thought was trivial could be the most obvious form of evidence." He brushed his fingers through his hair and tousled it a bit. Harriet bit her bottom lip to stop herself saying something she would regret. Jason looked up and caught Harriet staring at him.

"She liked to pull my hair while I was going down -"

"Okay! I don't need to know what your latest shag liked!" Harriet almost screamed, her face going a lovely pink shade through embarrassment. Jason chuckled and picked up the keys to their marked police car. "I have innocent ears you know. God, Jason, you're ruining me."

Harriet stormed out of the room first and made a beeline for the stairs; she definitely didn't want to hear any more about Jason's night. Jason laughed and locked the door behind him as he exited. When Harriet was out of ear shot, he groaned.

"I'm not ruining you as much as I'd like to Hatty."

***

The two detectives arrived at the house that used to belong to Caroline Pollard. It was here that she had had her life cruelly taken from her, what had she seen in her last moments? There were still plenty of police officers marking the place and the local news team were sat by their sign written van sipping coffee out of takeaway cups. As soon as they saw the two detectives pull up, the anchor woman and cameraman ran over to the passenger side. Harriet nearly hit the anchor-woman with the door whilst she was trying to get out.