Chapter Thirty-Eight - Contract

Start from the beginning

"I'm going back to bed. You owe me a week's worth of caramel frappuccinos for this."

Isla nodded. "Right. Will do," she said. It only seemed fair, plus, she and Jane practically lived off of those things, so Isla had no problem with treating her friend for the next little while, at least until things got settled.

Jane stumbled her way back out of the room, taking that dark cloud with her. The door to Jane's room slammed, and only then did Isla allow herself to breathe properly.

She kicked her legs out to untangle herself from the sheets, angry with herself, and then she leaned against the side of her bed, put her knees up, and curled her arms around them.

The screen of her phone stared back at her from beside her. Eight in the morning. Not super early, but early enough for Isla, who'd only managed to get herself to fall asleep at around two-thirty in the morning. It was even earlier for Jane, who made it a habit of not getting to bed until the first hints of dawn showed itself in the glowing horizon.

Isla felt like a terrible best friend. She let her head fall against her knees.

She'd been back for four days, and Jane had asked Isla what had happened, what had gone wrong, allowed Isla to even have that embarrassing moment on her shoulder, and then when Isla said she didn't want to talk about it, Jane gave her the space she needed. Jane had been great. Better than ever.

Just for Isla to constantly get in the way of Jane's sleeping and work schedule.

Maybe she'd buy her friend a month's worth of frappuccinos. Wasn't like she couldn't afford it.

Isla looked back down at her phone, and the time it was giving her. She had to get ready. She had no idea when it was going to arrive, but she'd gotten a text in last night from Orlando saying he was bringing her some papers, today, so she needed to get ready.

It was basically the reason why she hadn't been able to fall asleep last night. She'd spent all night tossing and turning, thinking about whatever it could be that Arturo was putting in the new contract.

The contract was the only communication from Arturo that he would be getting ever since he kicked her out. Maybe it was for that reason that Isla had gotten desperate and called Orlando's phone, just to hear him say it in his real voice that he was bringing the papers over.

Orlando hadn't been able to give her any details, not even a real reason why he wanted to deliver the contract himself, instead of getting someone else to do it, or even to email it to her for her to sign on her tablet.

It had just made for an awkward conversation with long pauses, and it had been very clear that Orlando knew Isla probably wasn't coming back. That had just made it worse, especially since he'd been the one to stand up for her again and again whenever he thought Arturo was being mean.

Isla had been too weak to summon any courage at all that would allow her to just ask what Arturo was doing, or to pass on a message.

So she'd thanked Orlando and hung up the phone before she'd made things more embarrassing for herself. Now today was the day. The day she would be getting to see what it was that Arturo wanted her to agree to.

Maybe he'd turn her into his personal secretary. Someone who would be able to service him in ways he wouldn't allow Sylvia to do.

Just the thought brought on all kinds of fantasies, the sort of things she probably wouldn't be thinking about at all had she not read so many Billionaire and CEO romance novels with Jane.

Because Jane's bookshelf was full of that sort of thing, and because of Isla's depression, she'd borrowed a couple and had spent part of her moping time reading through them.